“Best BLT ever!”

Commerce Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

What a great spot, the servers are very friendly and the food is great. It is a diner but does everything right. Very impressive, coffee is also very good.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped a young man in the Street and asked for a breakfast recommendation and he steered us here. "Nothing to look at from the outside" he said, "but the food is great". How right he was and my daughter and I loved the breakfast they served here. I ordered eggs and bacon and grits (and the bottomless cup of coffee) and of course the biscuit (YUMMY) and my daughter ordered eggs and hash browns and sausage and dry toast. The only thing that was not as good as expected was the sausage patty - it rather lacked flavor. Not bad, but just bland. The bacon was great - good quality! The "hash Browns" were different - more like spiced potato pieces, but great flavor. We vowed to come back here again - we really loved this place (and the service was GREAT too)!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We tried this place the last day we were in New Orleans before we left for our cruise. It was located right across the street from our hotel the Omni Crescent. Remembered it from reviews on Tripadvisor, but forgot it was only open M-F . Reminds me of an old fashioned diner inside. We only went for breakfast. Service was fast, coffee was delicious,eggs were perfect, and bacon was very crisp! New it was good when we saw all the local truck drivers stopping there. They only take cash, and they all pool the tips. Would love to try their gumbo....our favorite dish while in New Orleans.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Some friends who found this place my mistake told me to try it then next time I was in Nola. When you know where it is located it really isn't hard to find. It really took me back to a time when just about every city or town had a little place like this, nothing special to look at, small, no frills, just extraordinary food served up by people who really seem to love working there and love people.You are greeted at the door as if you have been there a hundred times before. I had not of course and I told this sweet lady just that,and she smiled and said "Well baby, you just sit right down here and I'm going to take good care of you and she did. She told me what the specials of the day were and also pointed out the menu boards above the counter and telling me about a few items and what they came with, etc. I had a club sandwich on REAL French po-boy bread that was wonderful, it was almost more than I could eat but I managed. When you are finished you walk up to the counter that has a huge old antique cash register and tell them what you had and pay for it. They only take cash so be aware of that. They are open for breakfast and lunch and the place is very busy but they seem to take care of everyone with ease. You can tell it is a place with mostly regulars and the occasional visitor like myself. When I got ready to leave the sweet lady told me they were open for breakfast and I should come back if I could and I did, two days later and she was working and when I came in she remembered me from my earlier visit, it is that type of place. The breakfast is good, it is fast and it is cheap compared to what you will pay in the hotels for breakfast. It is delightful to see places like this are still around and thriving like this one in an era of fast food places and chain establishments, this place is special so next time you are a visitor to New Orleans and want a good breakfast or a hearty lunch that won't hurt your wallet locate the Commerce, you will be glad you did.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is probably one of the best and most cultural places to eat lunch in downtown New Orleans. You have to get over the decor, but its where the locals go for a good lunch.

1  Thank Robert W