“great for breakfast”

Commerce Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you want to start your day with southern/creole food, Commerce is a delicious and cheap option. I had a warm muffaletta which will please fans of sliced meats and olives and a side of thick beans and rice that had generous chunks of pork. The coffee? Well, that's not why you go there. It was thin and bland. The waitress never asked about refilling my cup which was probably a generous gesture on her part. Don't let the appearance on the outside deter you. It's a no frills diner and you go there for the food. And bring cash.

1  Thank Rexetersg

Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you love classic diners this is the place for you! Although it doesn't look that thrilling on the outside don't let that put you off. Great classic decor here and a great buzz- it was packed full of locals when we stopped by. There isn't a huge range of food on the menu but what they do have was cooked quickly and tasted great.

Food is classic Cajun - yummy!

2  Thank scenesteruk
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great place for a reasonably priced southern breakfast. No flash just good food served with southern hospitality. Wish I could have tried lunch, I heard really good things about po' boys and the muffuletta. Will go back when in Nola.

1  Thank Mike O
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My first muffuleta was magnificent!! My husband ordered the fish po-boy, which he said was delicious.
We stopped here before our trolley tour for a quick lunch. The staff was friendly and patient - I had a lot of questions!
The fries, however, were old and chewy. Not really worth the extra calories when you're already consuming so many that are soooo worth it.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Once we discovered The Commerce, it was our stop for breakfast every day! I don't get it....everyone down there talks about Mother's for breakfast. We were there too, and The Commerce has it ALL OVER Mothers! Mother's is filthy, the service is terrible and you have to wait int line for this? No thanks. Yea, the food was good at Mother's but the Commerce was JUST as good and the service was tremendous! Its a small little place and very welcoming. The staff there make you feel right at home. At Mother's we actually felt like we were inconveniencing them! Try Commerce - you will love it.

1  Thank MamaSeed D