“Food average, service better”
Review of Cafe Pontalba

Cafe Pontalba
Ranked #534 of 2,044 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location of Cafe Pontalba is fun. You get to people watch those around Jackson Square. I had a shrimp po boy. It was good. It wasn't great; it wasn't terrible. It was a satisfying sandwich. My husband enjoyed his salad, which also wasn't great or terrible. The cafe is in the oldest apartment building in the United States. The open-air location (it was warm enough the windows were open - not outside dining) was really nice and made us feel a part of the area around. I wouldn't say this is a must-eat-at place, but I wouldn't summarily dismiss it, either.

1  Thank CRue1986

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I friend from NOLA highly recommended the French toast. We ate there at about 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, which seemed like a great time, because it was pretty quiet there and at Jackson Square in general. However, our French toast and biscuits were cold and not very fresh. Our server was very nice, though. And the restaurant has a nice view through open windows that look out onto Jackson Square and all the music and artists that gather there.

1  Thank HippieAllie
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant was moderately priced, especially given its great location. Good menu selection with representation of New Orleans favorites. They let you know which dishes are very spicy, if you want to order or avoid them.

1  Thank Randolph_B478
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family of teenagers thought the food was great here. The French cafe ambiance was great as well. Service was a bit slow, but the waiter was truly overworked. It's really neat to be able to look out over Jackson Square and the cathedral while eating lunch. The prices are really reasonable as well.

2  Thank Mighty_Road_Warrior
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great ambiance and lousy food. Unless you like salt. If you're not a salt-a-holic, run over the to the Gumbo Shop for real good food. The four of us had four different entrees, and we couldn't finish the meals. Yes, the drinks were good and the service superb. I wonder if the owners ever eat there? I can't believe they would be happy.

1  Thank AdamGhost