“Great food!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We have heard good things and finally got to try this place the other day. We had about a 20 minute wait which wasn't too bad. We enjoyed hearing the band in the Apple Barrel. Once seated our waiter was friendly. We shared the crepes and fish with ocean sauce. The food was all delicious. Our only complaint was that it all came out at once and the waiter seemed unwilling to correct this.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Adolfo's is small and cramped and only takes cash and is sometimes really cold inside, but the food is really, really good. Plates come out of the kitchen piping hot each an every time. The staff is nice and is usually the same. My hubby and I always order the crab and corn appetizer and then split an entree. More than enough food! It's close to the top of my list of recommendations. It's in the marigny which is worth a visit for all travelers. It's above the Apple Barrel which is just fun!! Have a drink downstairs before or after you head up.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This little Italian restaurant is worth finding and worth waiting to get a table. The food is fantastic and the staff are great. It is located on Frenchman St in Marigny upstairs over the Apple Barrel jazz bar. They don't take bookings and they don't take credit cards so be prepared. We were there over new year and the Sugar Bowl so New Orleans was packed and we had to wait 2 hours to get a table, which is unusually long according to locals. The Apple Barrel has live music to while away your time while waiting for your table.
My daughter and I both had seafood which was fresh and delicious. Frenchman St is very different to Bourbon St and is frequented by locals who go there for the jazz clubs.
Frenchman St is well worth a visit and eating at Adolfos makes it more worthwhile.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I almost dont want to review this, since part of me doesnt want more people to go there. Seafood is great and for the non seafood types the lamb or steak Manny will tantalize your tastebuds. They only take cash and no reservations are accepted. The wait is worth it. Get in line and wait with a beverage from the old Apple barrel bar which is now part of Adolfos

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to my daughter and I by two separate local residents. The food is good as a whole, the service spotty, depending on who you get to wait on you. I'm not one who considers someone being rude to me as quaint atmosphere...you're just rude. Fortunately, our waiter was lovely and very helpful. We were not waited on by the person I spoke to on the phone, the same person who told us that we probably wouldn't be seated before the restaurant closed and we'd be out of luck if that happened once we got there. The way it works appears to be this...you get your name on a list. It's not really clear how this happens. You can't wait upstairs in the restaurant because there's nowhere to wait...but that's where the list is, so we went upstairs to put down our name. Someone finally noticed us and we got the speech about closing at ten and if we weren't seated by then, which was likely, we were out of luck...go downstairs and wait in the bar (which does not appear to be part of the restaurant). Fortunately, we waited because someone came down after about ten minutes and called out a list of names...none of whom answered, so we were seated rather quickly in the end. As one of the locals said, "You're not paying for the atmosphere." To call it "rustic" would be kind.

Note that the restaurant is CASH ONLY. There is an ATM in the restaurant. We were told by locals that this is to avoid paying sales tax and is becoming more common in New Orleans. Entrees come with salad or a side of pasta, not both. There is no choice of dressing, but it's homemade. The side pasta is, frankly, nothing special. I ordered the cannelloni combination...you pick two from a choice of three. The sausage cannelloni was good. The crab and corn cannelloni was too sweet and I wouldn't order it again. The third option was spinach and cheese which I think would be a better choice based on the other things we ate. What ARE amazing are the sauces! If you're going to this restaurant, order fish. It's most of the menu, anyway. Then pick your sauce and dine in sheer bliss.

Overall, the attraction seems to be that it's difficult to get into because it's very small and popular. I don't find that compelling because there are so many good restaurants in New Orleans. I'd eat here again if the wait wasn't horrendous and order the fish. Otherwise, I'd go elsewhere and not feel deprived.