“Cosy spot for Italian in the Marigny”
Review of Adolfo's

Adolfo's
Ranked #190 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed February 25, 2013

An Italian restaurant tucked rather anonymously above a nondescript bar in the Marigny, this was a surprise delight of our recent trip. The only sign there is a restaurant up the narrow flight of stairs is a white placard out front listing the fresh catch of the day – which on this visit, included puppy drum, trout, grouper, salmon and tilapia. Not a bad selection, and we were told by several locals that this was a great place for fish. Climb the stairs and you find a very rustic room with maybe a dozen or so tables, plastic red-checked tablecloths, a pass through to the tiny kitchen in the corner next to the bar (no seats). However unpromising this looks, the food was GREAT. Our waiter came over, asked us if we’d been there before (we had not), and explained the menu, which listed about a dozen fish preparations which could be used with any of the fish they had that day. There were also extensive pasta and steak selections, as well as appetizers. Every dish came with either salad or pasta, served as a first course; warm bread and butter was brought out first. I had Tilapia “Tony”, which was a huge filet under a blanket of spinach lemon verde sauce; my husband had the puppy drum served “Michele” style, which was a crawfish & shrimp cream sauce. Both were delicious. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We’ve been here three times in the last five years and have loved it every time. No place is perfect, but in a town full of “must-eat-at” restaurants we always have one meal here. I’ll give the pros and cons of this place as I see it:

Pro:
This place simply has really good food. I would call it Creole influenced Italian, but they are really known for the fish dishes. Get the ocean sauce (assorted seafood in cream) as the topping for whatever local fish they have on the menu that day. Also, you can’t miss with the crab and corn manicotti. It’s handmade pasta and works great as an appetizer to share. They serve garlic bread with a small salad when you order an entree.

The atmosphere is also really romantic. Dimly lit and smelling of garlic and wine when you first enter. There are only about 12 tables in the place and they don’t always accept reservations. I would get there when they open (5:30 PM, as of last week- but apparently this changes from time to time). The restaurant can be hard to fine. Look for the Apple Barrel bar. Adolfo’s is located directly above and accessible via a stair and door facing Frenchman Street.

Con:
The staff knows that the place is in demand and can be a rude and surly bunch as a result. Not all of them, by the way. We had a very friendly and helpful server last week. Just don’t be put off if you get treated in a slightly gruff manner when you encounter the first staff member. I just chalk it up as part of the experience.

They also only take cash. There is an ATM on site, but it looked a bit sketchy to me.

Since it is so small, the place really fills up. I would not recommend coming here unless you have some time to wait or if you have a great second choice picked out nearby. For instance, I would never come here if I had someplace to be, like a ticketed concert or tour, right after dinner.

Overall:
Go ahead and try this place if you are looking for something that is different from the typical French Quarter red beans and rice style of local food. We stop here every trip and have never once regretted it.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Adolfo's on the recommendation of the local bike shop where we had rented bikes for the day. The food was some of the best I have had in NOLA. My entree dish was the grouper fish with the spinach/lemon sauce and crab/craw-fish sauce (Missy Sauce). The house red wine was good and the cannelloni appy was fantastic. The restaurant is cash only.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

On Frenchman Street, tucked away on top of a neat bar is this great restaurant. Get there early or you will have to wait downstairs in the bar. Not that that is a bad thing cause the bar is old as heck and has lots of character.As soon as you sit down the waiter tells you (warns) that it is CASH ONLY. They have an ATM on the corner which gets a lot of use. Menu is simple with daily specials. I just wanted a good spaghetti. My wife asked for chicken parmesan. We were not disappointed. Our food was in front of us before we knew it. And it was EXCELLENT.Nice sized portions. Desert menu is limited to Ice Cream. Who cares. NO ROOM FOR DESERT!! They took away our plates and brought us the bill. We were in/out in 60 minutes . We then went downstairs into the old dingy bar and had a drink and watched the Trio do their thing before leaving. All in all, a very nice experience from start to finish. We walked around Frenchman Street and took in a few more bars before walking back to our hotel . Make this a MUST EAT on your vacation in New Orleans.

2  Thank Mike P
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great food and well worth the wait. Several locals told us about it and glad they did. Would not have noticed it. Cash only