“Great surprise..”

Cafe Garanada
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I travel I'm always on the look out for authentic Spanish tapas. There are none where I live, and I miss Spanish food (I lived in Spain when I was a teenager.) While in New Orleans I just happened upon this place and it was GREAT!! The prices were very reasonable, and I liked almost everything I ordered. One tip!! If you order the Chorizo, be aware that it is the mexican type, which I don't care for. But, if you order the Jamon Serrano board you'll get a great combination of Spanish Chorizo, Jamon and Manchego!! The were very nice to remove the mexican Chorizo from my bill because it wasn't what i expected in a Spanish restaurant and the menu doesn't say that it's the Mexican kind.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Garanada

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Local friends took us to one of their favorite uptown restaurants and ordered an array of tapas for us to try. Everything was delicious, but my favorite was an entree, the Moroccan Lamb Tajine. It fell off the bone, and the sauce of fruits and spices were amazing! You can bring your own wine, but there is a corkage fee for the second bottle.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I like Cafe Granada, but I think it is overpriced. Sometimes there is live flamenco music, which I really like. It's the only place in New Orleans that reminds me of Spain.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was in the area, heading to the Maple Leaf (great music venue) and had planned to eat at a different restaurant. Well, I didn;t check before I left and it was closed (this was a Sunday). And it was after 9pm. So I had a choice between Cafe Granada and the middle eastern place next door. I opted for the former. Boy am I glad! It was the best sangria I had in a long time! And the tapas U had were great. I tried the empanadas. My family is Columbian, so this is not a traditional South American stype empanada as I am used to, more like a puff pastry exterior. But filled with red peppers and machengo cheese, it was delish! I also ordered the zucchini stuffed with machengo and smoked salmon. Unusual sounding, but amazing! This is my new go to place when I'm heading out to the Maple Leaf! Great service too!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Went to to the Cafe Granada on the recommendation of my cousin and enjoyed it very much. Our party of four sampled a number of the tapas and enjoyed all of them. Of course, with a larger party, one is afforded the opportunity to sample a wider variety of tapas. We espeically enjoyed the Patatas Bravas, the zucchini fritters served with a saffron aioli, and the queso hornado. And, of course, their wonderful french fries are in a league of their own!

Would love to return there and sample more of their wonderful offerings.