“Delicious and Easy Pre-Theatre Dining”
Review of Meauxbar Bistro

Meauxbar Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Meauxbar Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 2,023 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Philip Street
Description: Located on a picturesque corner of the Vieux Carre, Meauxbar is a vibrant neighborhood gem. A typical evening finds an eclectic mix of French Quarter residents, locals from across the city, as well as out of town visitors. Accessible and smart, with a unique worldview, our food and beverage menus are reflected in locally-inspired, modern bistro fare created by Chef John Bel. Our menu rotates seasonally, though some classics remain throughout: Escargot with Shitake Mushrooms and Brioche Toast is a guest favorite. Our Moules Frites in a Pastis Broth with Garlic Fennel Aioli appeals to those in search of a Bistro classic, while our Lamb Loin with Celery Root & Potato Puree, Beets, and a Fig Demi Glace perfectly exemplifies Chef Bel's vision and style. Our wine program is Old World in style with some New World influences and is very approachable. Our core philosophy is centered around the whole dining experience: great food and service, memorable moments, culture, warmth, energy, and a celebratory feel. We want to be a part of our guests' lives.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

A friend and I had dinner here before Les Miserables back in November as it comes highly recommended for pre-theatre dining at Mahalia Jackson. Traffic downtown was horrible with all of the construction going on for the Super Bowl, so just to be safe I called to let them know we might not make it right on time...I was less than impressed with the attitude or tone the host took with me, especially when we arrived (less than five minutes past our reservation) and the restaurant (albeit small) had only two to four other patrons in it. It was really unncessary.

Our waitress was very polite and went over the menu with us, offered us bread and kept an eye on our champagne and water glasses.

I got the truffled goat cheese macaroni and it was, in a word, divine. I honestly don't know how to describe it. I can put away some food and when they walked out with this small plate serving size of something I knew I was going to love, I was sure there wouldn't be enough. Not so...I shared it with my friend and we STILL had a hard time finishing it. It was so rich and creamy, but with that crunchy top later after baking in a little crock. Just amazing.

My friend ordered the spaghettie bolognese small plate and a salad, also completely full. The bread is very good and warm and they'll bring you another piece to go with your meal if you ask. We were trying to keep our meals small so we could have popcorn at the theatre...that didn't happen. The small plate portion was actually perfect considering the richness of the dishes.

The prices are a little on the high side but completely reasonable. It's exactly what I'd expect to pay at a place like that (my goat cheese mac small plate was $16, I think a salad is $7-12 or something, champagne was $11 a glass, etc.)

It was just so convenient for pre-theatre dining - you can go ahead and park at Mahalia Jackson, so you only pay to park once, walk through the park to Meauxbar and back for the show. They certainly cater to the crowd for the theatre and can get you in and out in the appropriate amount of time.

1  Thank Holly T

Reviewed January 20, 2013

It's a nice restaurant, good food and ambiance but it is nothing special. You can do better in the French Quarter.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

A nice little local restaurant, off the beaten tourist path in the French Quarter. Definitely upscale, but like most of New Orleans, not stuffy. We had fried catfish which sounds very down-homey, but it wasn't. This is not your gumbo and po' boy sandwich kind of restaurant. If you want upscale dining, this is a great choice.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We only decided to dine here at the last minute and it was convenient to our accommodation! The meal was delicious, the service excellent & then we were offered a complimentary port & THEN a complimentary sorbet to top the night off! Well worth a visit!

1  Thank budgetbudge
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Ate here about 2 years ago and have not forgotten a single morsel. The food here is prepared to suspend you in culinary bliss. very discrete location and once you step in you are in for a thrill.
Spend a couple of hours and let them spoil you rotten. this restaurant gives you the euphoric feeling we all deserve at the end of a great meal. the staff is also a pleasure. Will absolutely return sooner than later.