“This restaurant was awesome!”
Review of Liborio's Cuban Restaurant - CLOSED

Liborio's Cuban Restaurant
Cuisines: Cuban, South American
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Minneapolis
“This restaurant was awesome!”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

As authentic as I imagine they come. I had the cuban steak with plantains, and we all shared a pitcher of sangria. The manager/server was very polite and explained to us the menu items. Being so close to our hotel (next door to the Country Inn and Suites) it was a perfect option.

Clean, fast, polite, and delicious!

Visited May 2012

Chesapeake, VA
“Not Good!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We have eaten Cuban food many times before and had high expectations when we ordered our Cuban sandwiches. They were a big disappointment. The meats were dry and the taste was lacking. Also, the service was very slow.

We would not go back.

Visited March 2012
Fairfax County, VA
“Maybe a (Really!) Bad Night”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a restaurant we had tried to visit several times on previous trips to N.O. but have never made it when they were open. They are open for lunch, close for a while and only open for dinner certain nights. We caught them open for business night before last.

Well, open for business overstates things. Almost an hour after they opened, there was only one staff person on site. It's not clear exactly what he was -- he said he helped the cook but looked more like a janitor/dishwasher. No cook, no bartender, no waiter.

The janitor tried to make a mojito but clearly didn't know what it was (looked it up in a bartender's guide) or what it was supposed to look like. Instead of a sprig of mint, it had mint crushed and added to the drink.

Eventually a cook showed up as well as a waiter/bartender. My second mojito was much better and my wife's caipirinha was okay but wouldn't pass muster in Brazil.

My wife ordered arroz con pollo, which she liked a lot (she makes a great arroz con pollo herself). I had Liborio steak, which is supposed to be a flank steak but in reality was a gristly minute steak that had been run through a tenderizer. What wasn't gristle was pretty good. The sides of black beans and rice and fried plaintain were quite good.

We may go again sometime -- maybe next trip. No place in New Orleans can be consistently that bad and remain in business.

Also, it seems lunch is a busier and maybe better time to visit. We were the only seated customers the entire time we were there. One customer came in, picked up something and left.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank UmpChap
Sydney, Australia
“Try the Mojitos”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Authentic Cuban, the old man is a little slow but who cares when the mojitos taste so good

Visited April 2011
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Good food, amazing history”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant, where he ordered the steak and I the paella. The food was delicious, particularly the fried sweet plantains. What we enjoyed most , however, was talking with the owner, who told us of coming to the United States in the 1950s. He started out working at a minimum wage job, learned to weld and worked in a shipyard, and finally bought a restaurant. He proudly proclaims, "I'm not Cuban--I'm an American."

The Friday night we visited, there were only two other tables filled. What a pity that tourists haven't found this quiet oasis in an otherwise noisy city!

• Visited October 2011