“Great venue for Wedding Rehersal Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Atchafalaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,933 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Laural Street
Transit: Magazine Street and Louisiana Ave, Louisiana Ave and Tchoupitoulas Bus Stops.
Nags Head, North Carolina
“Great venue for Wedding Rehersal Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We hosted a Wedding Rehersal Dinner here and our guests can't stop talking about it. We had eaten there on a previous trip to NOLA and knew the quality of the restaurant so it was an easy choice. The owners, Rachel and Tony, were spot-on from the moment we arrived until the last guest left. Fantastic 5 course dinner with excellent hands on service throughout.
There was not a detail overlooked.

We could not have asked for a better start to a wonderful wedding weekend.

1 Thank mark f

• Polish first
New Mexico
“Little bit of a walk, but well worth the trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Wanting to get out of the French Quarter-- and, at the suggestion of a local--we took a streetcar (be patient and don't watch for them, or they won't come) to a house in the middle of residential area. The local had said that Atchafalya is THE SUNDAY BRUNCH to go to in New Orleans. We did not get a reservation for brunch, but got a late dinner reservation. After walking about 7 blocks from the streetcar we made it to the Atchafalya after 9:44 pm (the restaurant closes at 10:00 on Sunday). The wait-staff was prompt and yet exuded an air of relaxed service with smiles, understanding and the ability to truly care that we got the food we wanted. The steak was tender, the redfish delectable, and the fried-green tomatoes were something to write a book or, perhaps, a movie about.

One of the best meals I have had in Louisiana.

Venice, Italy
“A long line”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We were suggested this locale by a native. There was a very long line and we had to wait one hour and half for our brunch. We were starving. After we got to sit the service was fast. I ordered a crab omelette that tasted very good and a green tea that was served with tea and milk . The inside of the restaurant was very larger than what appeared from outside and there was enough room for a small band to play and for some relative big groups to eat.One bad note was the bar, I ordered a diet coke a my workmates some orange juice , the glasses were so full of ice there was no room for the drink. When we asked for not ice, we just got a smaller glass.

New York, New York, United States
“Top 10 Meals of my life.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was so impressed by my meal that i had to write about my experience here. I had the gumbo and shrimp and grits. Easily the best meal I have had in a very long time. The gumbo was so complex and incredibly tasty. I could have had one more bowl and called it a night but then I wouldnt have had the exceptional shrimp and grits. I never had gripts before and this was truly an exceptional dish. My brother had the crab bisque and red fish entree and said both were very good. I did try his bisque and thought it was so yummy. This was truly a wonderful meal and the service was very good. It was gorgeous at night as well inside the restaurant. The meal was pricey but worth it.

Sechelt
“Fantastic find in New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We ended up at Atchafalaya as a runner-up to the restaurant we had planned on visiting which was closed on Monday nights. We're so glad it was!

We found Atchafalaya on a site that finds restaurants close to where you are - it was only a couple of miles away, in a nice district, and was open late even on a Monday. We were likely one of the final seatings of the night, but the restaurant staff made us feel as welcome as if we'd been the first to arrive. A great way to set the mood for the meal, and such a small thing, but a rarity in our experience.

We had been in Nola for 3 days by this time, and had eaten a lot of great casual food - gumbo, deep-fried alligator and onion blossoms, beignets (far too many beignets) - and were ready for a higher-end meal we hoped would be memorable.

Atchafalaya delivered.... my Chicken and Andouille Gumbo eclipsed all others, as rich as beef bourginone but with the lovely roux flavour and the hint of shrimp, while the squash/yam soup perfectly suited my partner and daughter.

The cheese plate offered a variety of pasteurized, unpasteurized and imported complexities, served with spiced pecans, chutney, raspberries and the most delicious rolled honey.

The Watermelon Caprese Salad was surprising and different - the prosciutto was delicately flavoured and the dish came together beautifully in each bite.

The Steamed Mussels were just the right mix of oceany freshness and flavoured broth... I can't remember the day's preparation, only that we ate them all rapidly!

The highlight of the meal had to be the incredible and iconic Fried Green Tomatoes. It was a hard sell by my spouse to get me to try them... I had a picture in my head of what they were, and it consisted of unripe tomatoes, acidic and aggressive - but what we were served was anything but. It was dessert to our table, the ripe, sweet green tomatoes fried with a light crust and topped with Louisiana crab and remoulade. Indescribably good.

Our 12 year old daughter loved the entire meal.

If you're going to set aside some funds for a signature meal in New Orleans, this is where to spend it.