“Best bang for your buck in town!”
Review of Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Atchafalaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,976 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Laural Street
Transit: Magazine Street and Louisiana Ave, Louisiana Ave and Tchoupitoulas Bus Stops.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Found this restaurant online and got intrigued by the name and then the reviews. Had to check it out. SO glad we did- that was by far the best meal I've had in ages! Everything was done to perfection. The food was out of this world. The staff was attentive and friendly. Did I mention the food? I like a good meal, and from the appetizers to the main course, to desert, it was amazing! Nothing was overdone, just an amazing spread of complimentary tastes without being too heavy. Will I be back? Count on it!!

1  Thank MustangJenni
There are newer reviews for Atchafalaya

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went here for brunch and were pleasantly surprised at the creative food and lively atmosphere. The deconstructed eggs rockefeller benedict featuring fried oysters, eggs, creamed spinach, bacon and hollandaise on top of a grit patty and was excellent. Also tried the alligator sausage patties, which predictably tasted...you guessed it...like chicken. The bloody mary bar was spot on and the mood in the restaurant was heightened by the lively jazz trio playing in the bar area.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

As visitors to New Orleans we were invited to eat at Atchafalaya with a local. I don’t believe it is mentioned in any tourist-related material. It was a nice change to NOT have someone ask you where you were from upon being seated. On the way there our friend mentioned that their specialty is shrimp and grits and it started us all thinking about that particular entrée.

The restaurant is in an unassuming neighborhood but is cozy and inviting when you walk through the door. You cannot miss the place because there is a huge half fry pan on the side of the building. We easily found parking right across the street. Our waiter was very attentive throughout the meal acting like he wanted us there, not like we were a tourist and he knew we would never be back. We were a tad earlier than most guests (6 pm reservations) as the place was almost empty when we sat down but filled up shortly after we arrived. Drinks were ordered and received almost immediately. My husband had a cup of the gumbo soup and loved it. Our waiter told us about several specials but we all had our minds set on the shrimp and grits. We were not disappointed. I now have a new dish to use in judging Cajun food.

I made a joke about the “heads on” shrimp and learned that experts can tell the shrimp are extremely fresh based on the eyes so that is why they leave them on. He offered to remove them for me so I accepted. Otherwise they provide a dish for the removal and take it away when you are finished with the chore.

For dessert, both of the guys had the Crème Brule and I had bread pudding. All were a great finish to a wonderful meal. This place is on my “visit again” list, but I am not sure if I will be able to order anything but the shrimp and grits!

If you are visiting New Orleans without a car (and it is definitely possible to do so), you will most likely need to take a taxi to this restaurant as it really isn't near any public transportation.

1  Thank TravelLover2345
Reviewed April 18, 2013

After reading and searching online, this place kept popping up as the "place to eat". I noticed online the menu was sort of small, but I really wanted to give it a try. It is quite a distance from downtown, but it is worth the trip. Upon arrival, the manager was at the host stand, and was quite nice. The place was packed on a random Wednesday night, and even the small bar area was booming. We had to wait a minute for our table, which was ok. I really liked the eclectic look of the place, and our server was great. She had a great knowledge of the menu, and was great with recommendations. I started with the fried green tomatoes (one of the favorite things in the world) and they did not disappoint. They were wonderful. I had the special that night, which was halibut, and the sauce was so delicious. It is no wonder why this place has such great word-of-mouth among foodies. Our server was really on top of things, and even though it was packed, the service was great. Also, there is a side dish on the menu we ordered that is really great people should try. It was the goat cheese polenta. There wasn't much left of anything on the table. The only bad part was, maybe because it was so late, but they kept calling for cabs for us, and one never came. We ended up walking up to Magazine street, and eventually found one. That is something to keep in mind if you are dining late mid-week. Of course, after this full and delicious meal, we probably needed the walk.

1  Thank Andy W
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a great way to spend a lazy Sunday morning make a reservation ahead of time or just hang out and enjoy the sunshine. This is a very popular restaurant. They had a live zydeco band playing when we went. Food is very creative. I had veal grilliades over.creamy grits in a delicious wild mushroom sauce. Our other meal was the duck hash. Way better than the name implies. Make the effort to get to this place if you have the time