“Updated Review!!!”
Review of Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Atchafalaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Laural Street
Transit: Magazine Street and Louisiana Ave, Louisiana Ave and Tchoupitoulas Bus Stops.
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I went to this restaurant at the recommendation of some local friends. This is a small quaint joint with great authentic food. Our first dinner in NOLA did not disappoint. I am glad I searched out reviews after I went, otherwise I may have passed. The food was delicious and the original drinks added a little zip to the evening. The evening specials are worth a look!

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We went here because we wanted to eat in the garden district. The food was delish. However, our bread, cocktails, and entrees all arrived to the table at the exact time. It took us a good 7 minutues before we found out who our waitress was. Our waitress seemed disinterested in us. My husband ate the pasta dish and I had the crab salad. We recommend this restaurant but you might find better service elsewhere.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

6 of us on a Jazzfest weekend heard great reviews of this restaurant and wanted to try something new. This was our eighth trip to New Orleans for this event.
The food was as wonderful as many have described; local ingredients, properly cooked and delicious.
BUT - waiter forgot to deliver drink order, forgot to give us an opportunity to order dessert, didn't get one diner's dinner to the right place on the first try and forgot to provide us the beer list until asked 3 times. Restaurant greeter was clearly working hard and was quite stressed. He also seemed inebriated, and rude when in that state.
Good chefs are hard to come by. That chef needs a better waitstaff, or a different kitchen.
A real schizophrenic experience.

1  Thank pweingrow
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My wife and I live uptown and have for many years. We have seen "happening places" come and go and have hit most restaurant in town at some point in all our years here. We absolutely love this place and put it shoulder to shoulder with any meal in the New Orleans area. Chef Mark has a light touch with the seafood he prepares and the menu is deep with original ideas and meals. A few of my favorites are the free form ravioli appetizer, the diver scallop appetizer, the crawfish stuffed flounder entree and of course, the shrimp and grits (one meal he is becoming locally notable for). Great bar drinks and wine list (with a number of bio-dynamic selections) make it a full-on meal experience!

The service from seating to dessert presentation provide a wonderful visit, even when the place is jam packed as it regularly is. Grab a reservation to ensure a seat head uptown to this great local spot! Honestly, if you are looking for one of the city's best meals reasonably priced in a great New Orleans uptown atmosphere, check this place out. I have sent literally dozens and dozens of folks to this place and they all thank me profusely for the recommendation. Don't miss it!

Reviewed April 3, 2011

We were staying in the French Quarter and visited Atchafalaya because we had a Groupon. It took us a while to get there walking from the St. Charles trolley. It was a lovely residential restaurant. The waiter wasn't as attentive as I would have liked, my husband's water glass stayed empty for a while. But the food was really good, definitely one of the best restaurants we went to during our weeklong stay in New Orleans. The owner came by and spoke to us a couple of times. They have one entree, the shrimp and grits, that is going to be featured on Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate"...for that alone, it's definitely worth the visit.

The one other thing I couldn't get used to...it was soooo dark! The people next to me had to break out their lighted cell phones in order to see the menu! :-)