“Charming Host”

Jamila's Cafe
Ranked #437 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed August 11, 2016

A welcoming restaurant in the backstreets which we wouldn't have discovered unless recommended by our B&B hosts. Cosy and rustic decor. Very friendly staff. A few vegetarian options though the cuisine didn't lend itself so much to it. I had the vegetarian pasta while my husband had the lamb tagine. Both were very tasty. Jamila is the wife and chef. Montcef is the front man. What a charming couple!

Reviewed June 6, 2016

I went here with my family and felt like I was part of their family! The food and service are top-notch and authentic. True loss if you can't make it here!

Reviewed January 28, 2016 via mobile

If you are in the mood for North African food, don't miss the exquisite offerings prepared by the darling Jamilla, and served by her hospitable husband Montcef. This charming restaurant is in the University area off Maple, and feels like a giant bear hug of a place...Montcef will have you swearing you are kin in no time! Our party had a fabulous mussels appetizer, a lamb roll and very tasty spinach/crawfish bisque. We shared an amberjack special and lamb shank, both prepared with delicate herbs and seasonings. After several glasses of wine and mint tea, we were treated to orange blossom water on our hands. This is a great, unhurried place to chat and visit. We were there midweek, although belly dancers and sometimes opera singers appear on Saturdays

1  Thank Susan O
Reviewed January 8, 2016 via mobile

Authentic ethnic cuisine cooked and served with love by a husband & wife team in an intimate, relaxed dining room. What a treat. The stuffed and fried phyllo appetizer was amazing. My sister thoroughly enjoyed the fish, which had an unusually savory preparation that used cloves. My lamb tajine was heavenly, and my 3 year old daughter lapped everything off her plate that we shared with her. I was particularly struck by the evocative stoneware used, which gave a homespun magic to the whole meal. The excellent food and the very warm hospitality of the proprietor who was our server made me want to take my wife back for a date when she is back in town.

1  Thank stldrvr
Reviewed November 2, 2015

Can't say enough about Moncef the owner and his wife Jamila ,when you walk into the restaurant it feels like you are in their home ;warm smile great service been going to this restaurant every time we are in NOLA .brik is fantastic lamb chops and grilled salad is to die for ....it's off the beaten path in uptown district.they always spray the orange blossom water like a nice goodby gesture from them .good people and deserve to be recognized for their service .MUST HAVE WHILE IN NOLA IF YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT THEN YOUR USUAL ETHNIC FOOD .