“Four stars for atmosphere, three stars for food”
Review of Jamila's Cafe

Jamila's Cafe
Ranked #536 of 1,991 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had two dinners at Jamila's and enjoyed being there a lot, since the owner really goes out of his way to make the customers feel welcome. The place was full both evenings and the vibe is nice. The food was average to good, with very few vegetable choices. Go there for the atmosphere, the mussels, the lamb, and the belly dancer on saturdays.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I visited NOA last week and ate at five different restaurants. Jamila's was my personal favorite. It was the second time I've eaten there. First, it's fun to get there by taking the St. Charles Street trolley to the end of the line and then a short walk through a quiet, tree lined neighborhood. Second, the food is fantastic. I had a fish stew with couscous on the side and a shrimp skewer for appetizer. The appetizer was so delicious. The shrimp had been marinated or rubbed in some exotic spices, grilled to perfection and then served on a bed of chopped tomatoes, skins removed, and fresh basil with a vinegar based dressing. The fish stew was a firm white fish, I think it was amberjack and tomato based sauce, of course, spiced to perfection. Sounds simple, but the mix of spices, fresh flavors and lightness made it a memorable meal. If you take the time to find your way to this small riverbend restaurant you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll get hooked like me.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

A really cozy little almost hole in the wall restaurant run by a Tunisian family. The food is awesome and the service is more awesome. Very friendly staff to say the least and you will enjoy the ambiance. It is nothing flashy, but very comfy. We loved the food served at this place. We were two couples but wanted to taste all the food. So we asked them to serve family style, where they served four entrees and bread/pita separately along with four plates. So we all tasted the four different dishes. Their lamb dishes are just delicious and I highly recommend the Lamb Tajin.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great attention to detail..... The hosts are the owners; unique fresh, down to earth food.
have to try the couscous..must do the lamb chops" best in town"(don't tell Susan spicer...)
ask Mounsieur Monseuf for a selected bottle of french bubbly... you will remember it.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was really looking forward to trying the food here. Unfortunately, the food was really under seasoned. We were a party of 5 and none of us really liked the our entrees. The bisque was good though. The place is really cute though and the owner, who was also our waiter, was very attentive.