“Go and you will not be disappointed”
Review of Jamila's Cafe

Jamila's Cafe
Ranked #587 of 1,939 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: African, Mediterranean, Greek, Tunisian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
“Go and you will not be disappointed”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Went on a Sunday night based on Tripadvisor reviews and it was a fantastic experience. First, Jamila's is not in the heart of New Orleans--it's actually near Tulane so there is a college vibe in this part of town.

Moncef and his wife (Jamila) are the owners and it is a very cozy, casual Med restaurant. The food was excellent and we were served by Moncef himself. He was very attentive and made sure that we were well taken care of and it showed in the quality of the food. If you're staying in downtown NO, it's an easy ride on the St. Charles streetcar. Highly recommended and will be back!

Visited January 2012

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Tunisian Food”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Jamilas is a quaint restaurant on Maple Street Uptown New Orleans. It is one of the Gems in this neighborhood. The Restaurant is family owned and operated. The menu is a combination of fresh local ingredients and Tunisian Flavors. Chef Jamila is one of a kind serving family recipes. The ambiance is romantic and comfortable. Reserve a booth by the windows for 2. You will enjoy every bite

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Wonderful find!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is the second time our family has dined here and both times the food, ambiance and service were impeccable! This is a small restaurant with attention to detail. Dining here with friends, family or business associates who are looking for a cozy, relaxed and totally delicious evening are sure to be pleased. The seafood is fresh, the lamb is tender and the appetizers are wonderful. Whether a local or visitor, this restaurant is representative of New Orleans - delicious and charming!

• Visited January 2012
Plattsburgh
“Cozy atmosphere, delicious food..”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My daughter and I had been driving around looking for a place to eat when we stumbled upon Jamila's Cafe. Talk about great find! Moncef came out and assured me the food was homemade - he had us at "hello."
The crawfish, arichoke and spinach bisque is delightful, I mean divine! The garlic compound butter, warm pita and crusty bread still have my mouth watering. And the lamb, ah the lamb... We cannot wait o go back and will make this a must for every visit!

• Visited December 2011
Houston, Texas
“My second home!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Great food! One of the rare tunisian restaurants in the world that actually serve you authentic food! I know I'm Tunisian so I'm quite picky!!!! The owners are wife and husband Jamila and Moncef. Aunt Jamila is the chef! The brik au thon was just perefct with the egg yoke leaking as you bite on it just like back home! The ijja bil merguez was really tasty. ...The Merguez ( tunisian sausage) is made by Aunt Jamila and is not processed anywhere else! Her husband Moncef is so welcoming and makes you feel at home! My husband had the Amberjack fish fried with cumin and other spices and it was delicious. We wanted to try the couscous but didn't have enough stomach space. We learned about this restaurant from people owning a fast food place in Bourbon Street and it was around 9 pm already. The restaurant itself makes you feel you're inside a cabin decorated by Tunisian dishes, pottery, artifacts,etc... It's not a fancy place and that is just the way it should be; a friendly, family owned business! I recommend anyone who would like to taste something other than cajun cooking! I really loved the owners and their cooking was just like a home cooked meal! Our 4 year old son was so happy to be there because the owners gave so much attention to him! It was a Saint's Football night and we couldn't get a Taxi back to our Hotel. Si Moncef and Aunt Jamila drove us back to Bourbon Street and wouldn't take a no for an answer! Such a sweet couple! I'll be coming back to New Orleans for buisness and this will be one of my regular stops!

• Visited August 2011