“Not a good experience. ”
Review of Somethin' Else Cafe - CLOSED

Somethin' Else Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: French Quarter
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not a good experience. ”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Ok......so I should have followed the previous reviews. The menu has both breakfast and lunch/dinner items. We were only able to order breakfast items at noon. The pancake was horrible; they only have strawberry preserves syrup?? I'm used to maple syrup. Service was bad, food was worse. Never again.

Nashville, TN
“Gumbo not so great...”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went here because I was told the gumbo was really good. I was actually disappointed. It was mostly liquid and not alot of substance.

• Visited December 2013
Houston, Texas
“Boudin Balls”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We went here for Boudin Balls and they were delicious. You got six of them fried with a sauce. More importantly, the bread pudding with sauce. I ate that whole bad boy all by myself. Did not really like "The Works" which was French fries with cheese, chili and sour cream.

• Visited December 2013
Canton, Michigan
“Good find!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

A small cafe with indoor and outdoor seating which is sandwiched in one of the beautiful alleys of the french quarter area. Looking for a break from all the fried food? For a simple breakfast with eggs, pancakes and fruit (among other things), this is the place to be. They also have a select menu for lunch and dinner. The side of potatoes that came with my veggie omelette were great and nicely spiced!

• Visited November 2013
Franklin, Louisiana
“Disappointment vs. last visit.”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was one of our "go to" favorites. We've only been here 3 times, but looked forward to returning, to enjoy the food and service we longed for. My wife made the Shrimp Burger one of her "must-haves" , while we were in N.O. to celebrate her 50th B-day. This was fine with me, because I was looking forward to the Cochon de Lait sandwich. We arrived @ noon, to find 2 tables occupied, and the rest of the tables uncleaned from previous diners. We were instructed to sit anywhere, and they would clean that table. When asked, the waitresses did not know the specials, stating "the specials are the sandwiches and stuff" and "I don't know the soup, maybe potato." I ordered a cup of gumbo, which came out in a hot coffee mug, with COLD morsels of chicken and sausage, and flavorless gumbo. 2 spoons was all I could stand. The pork in my sandwich was also bland and barely room temp. :(
It hurt me to see how disappointed my wife was with her much anticipated Shrimp Burger. The patty was 1/2 as thick as we remembered, and no longer had the batter fried bacon, but something resembling leftover bacon from breakfast.
There was one staff member standing on a table, and another on the bar, writing on chalkboards, presumably, they knew the "specials". The wait staff were wearing their coats and hats from the morning commute. There was filth and dirty dishes/utensils on every available surface, including the floor. The table next to us asked for a "go box" and additional sauce, of some kind. When the waitress was bringing the box and sauce from the kitchen, she dropped the sauce container on the floor, picked it up , and included it in those patron's go box, disgusting. Other tables remained uncleaned the entire time we were there. How can this place have gone down so far, so fast? Was one of our favorites, had enough/seen enough. Will never go back.

• Visited November 2013