“Gumbo not so great...”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went here because I was told the gumbo was really good. I was actually disappointed. It was mostly liquid and not alot of substance.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We went here for Boudin Balls and they were delicious. You got six of them fried with a sauce. More importantly, the bread pudding with sauce. I ate that whole bad boy all by myself. Did not really like "The Works" which was French fries with cheese, chili and sour cream.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

A small cafe with indoor and outdoor seating which is sandwiched in one of the beautiful alleys of the french quarter area. Looking for a break from all the fried food? For a simple breakfast with eggs, pancakes and fruit (among other things), this is the place to be. They also have a select menu for lunch and dinner. The side of potatoes that came with my veggie omelette were great and nicely spiced!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was one of our "go to" favorites. We've only been here 3 times, but looked forward to returning, to enjoy the food and service we longed for. My wife made the Shrimp Burger one of her "must-haves" , while we were in N.O. to celebrate her 50th B-day. This was fine with me, because I was looking forward to the Cochon de Lait sandwich. We arrived @ noon, to find 2 tables occupied, and the rest of the tables uncleaned from previous diners. We were instructed to sit anywhere, and they would clean that table. When asked, the waitresses did not know the specials, stating "the specials are the sandwiches and stuff" and "I don't know the soup, maybe potato." I ordered a cup of gumbo, which came out in a hot coffee mug, with COLD morsels of chicken and sausage, and flavorless gumbo. 2 spoons was all I could stand. The pork in my sandwich was also bland and barely room temp. :(
It hurt me to see how disappointed my wife was with her much anticipated Shrimp Burger. The patty was 1/2 as thick as we remembered, and no longer had the batter fried bacon, but something resembling leftover bacon from breakfast.
There was one staff member standing on a table, and another on the bar, writing on chalkboards, presumably, they knew the "specials". The wait staff were wearing their coats and hats from the morning commute. There was filth and dirty dishes/utensils on every available surface, including the floor. The table next to us asked for a "go box" and additional sauce, of some kind. When the waitress was bringing the box and sauce from the kitchen, she dropped the sauce container on the floor, picked it up , and included it in those patron's go box, disgusting. Other tables remained uncleaned the entire time we were there. How can this place have gone down so far, so fast? Was one of our favorites, had enough/seen enough. Will never go back.

1  Thank theblackcrab
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I ordered a cup of gumbo with side of potato salad "to start" and a warm spinach salad "LIGHT on the blue cheese" as my entree. The gumbo was the worst I've ever tasted--watery, greasy, some of the sausage was burned and the chicken was tough--definitely didn't taste fresh. Took one bite of the room temperature, bland mushy potato salad and didn't eat any more of that. There was nothing warm about the warm spinach salad and the dressing was so sour and salty than I couldn't eat it, even after adding two packets of sugar to try to make it tolerable. The ONLY good thing about the food was the salad toppings, particularly the candied nuts. The two waitresses had a hard time keeping up with 3 tables (2 solo diners and 2 women at one table just having beverages). The first time one came to check on me, my pop glass had been empty for several minutes and she asked if I was doing ok. Really? I have to ask you to refill my empty glass?

But wait, there's more:
1. Had a coupon for a free drink which I showed when I ordered, but of course it wasn't taken off the bill until I caught it and mentioned it again.
2. Little bugs flying around my table and I noticed the other diner swatting at some too.
3. The woman who appears to be a manager or owner was sitting at a table and loudly talking to people on her cell phone. Get a clue!

1  Thank Kona-ray