“Excellent service by Jimmy and Tim. Food not so great.”
Review of Antoine's

Antoine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Antoine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #151 of 1,979 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Royal Street
Description: The dress code is business casual— Collared shirts are required for gentlemen, jackets preferred but not required, no flip-flops, t-shirts, or athletic shorts are permitted. The dress code will be enforced at the manager's discretion.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Made reservations here during Mardi Gras week and stopped in a couple of hours early to confirm our reservation. The maitre d, Jimmy, was absolutely fabulous and gave us a tour of most of this incredible restaurant. One would never know that there are 16 differently themed dining rooms all decorated with vintage NewOrleans/ Mardi Gras krewe artifacts. We really appreciated him taking the time to show us around!
We arrived later for our 6:30 reservation and were seated in a mostly empty dining room which was surprising considering the festivities going on all around the city. We were seated timely and our drink order was taken and delivered quickly. The waiter, Tim, explained some of the dishes featured on the menu as well as the specials. I ordered the "fish of the day" which was pompano that I had not had before. At this restaurant, any and all side orders are a la carte so choose carefully as they add up quickly. I chose asparagus with a hollandaise like sauce as did my husband and it was cooked perfectly and delicious. I ordered two different "toppings" for my pompano since I had tried neither before. Both were excellent as far as toppings go, one crawfish tails and the other lump crab something or other.
We ordered the obligatory Oysters Rockefeller which is their signature appetizer. This restaurant invented this dish years ago and I have had a few different versions at various different restaurants. None that I have had were prepared like theirs. I really liked them. They are incredibly filling with their herbed whipped secret topping they put on top. I was pretty full after having a couple of these before my dinner arrived.
Unfortunately, my pompano was quite thin and over cooked which was disappointing considering the prices charged. I initially thought I had bitten into a bone but it was actually an extremely over cooked edge of the fish flesh. My husband ordered the "drum" which was a fried selection and was a bit over done as well leaving quite a bit of oil on the plate. Over all, there is much that can be very simply improved to attract better reviews from customers. I probably won't go out of my way to eat here again given all of the restaurants in this city.
Tim did take more time and show us some other areas we had not seen earlier which was really awesome! Thank you!

1  Thank KimC40

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I go to Antoine's every time we are in New Orleans. The food is top notch and the service is beyond compare. Antoine's is the oldest family-owned restaurant in the U.S. and is known for having created Oysters Rockefeller. Be sure to make a reservation in advance.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were told to dress nicely for our Sunday brunch, and was dissapointed when the people next to us were wearing football jerseys and sneakers. Stuffed mushrooms came out room temp. But the mimosa's and the live jazz was great!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We decided to have lunch here after doing the food tour and sampling their Gumbo.
We went for lunch planning to do their special lunch menu which was just over $20 but then decided to order off the menu.

The food was amazing - I had the soft shell crab with almonds and my husband had the oysters Rockerfellar and Gumbo.
The highlight of the experience was the service. Our waiter went out of his way to make it quite the experience for us - gave us an overview of history of Antoine's, asked if we wanted a tour and got our menu's signed by the head chef to take home as souvenirs.

It was well worth the experience and we would highly recommend it.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The food is outstanding. Our favorite waiter, Charlie Downs, always takes care of us. Outstanding services and suggestions. The owners are spot on with making this a friendly, welcoming enviroment yet have kept the family elegence and charm of years gone by. Way to go Rick and Lisa!!