“Perfect Sunday Brunch”
Review of Dante's Kitchen

Dante's Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Dante's Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #272 of 1,997 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Cross street: Leake Avenue
Transit: 2 Blocks from the St. Charles streetcar line where it meets Carrollton. Get off at the very next stop (at Maple Street & Carrollton) and walk two blocks down Maple Street towards the river until it intersects with Dante Street. We are at the end of the street where Dante meets Leake Avenue.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

One of the most interesting brunch menus around. Having an egg allergy can make brunch a challenging meal but the Grilled Shrimp and Grits was absolutely perfect! Actually there was such a variety on this menu, it was hard for me to choose. My friend loved the Debris and eggs and the Bacon cinnamon bun was out of this world! I can't wait to return for dinner.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband, two teenaged sons and I were in NO for the first time and had heard so many amazing reviews of Dante's Kitchen that we had to make a reservation. The restaurant is in a residential neighborhood a distance from the FQ and CBD. The host gave us the choice of diing inside or out, so we opted to sit outside on the patio. It was lovely and quiet, even with all tables filled. Soft music played on the speakers. Relaxing vibe.

If you are a vegetarian you may struggle a bit with the menu. Though I am not a vegetarian, I don't eat red meat, so I ordered the grilled shrimp and stoned ground grits to start...amazing! My entree was Chicken Roasted Under a Brick, which I initially loved but then it became way too spicy for me. My husband and sons loved their entrees, and mine as well (which they finished for me). Our bellies were way too full for dessert!

Our waiter was pleasant enough but we waited about 45 minutes for the appetizers to arrive. Perhaps that's just NO pace, but I when we were ready for the check, I made eye contact with him several times and it took him a while to acknowledge me, let alone come over.

I need to comment on the location of and transportation to this neighborhood. Not having a rental car, we opted to take a taxi to the restaurant. Our hotel suggested we do this instead of riding the streetcar since the tracks are being renovated and the trip would require a transfer to a bus. It would also make the trip much longer.

It would've been better to take the streetcar, as the one-way fare was $22 (not including the tip). After dinner, the host called a taxi for us, and we had to wait about 20 minutes for its arrival. There is nothing else to do or see in this area, so just know that before you make the trip.

Otherwise, a wonderful dining experience.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This restaurant uptown is worth the trip. We took the street car and then walked probably 6 to 8 blocks to get there. We ordered the Tres Mignons and the Chicken Under a Brick. The chicken won as our favorite, although both were delicious. We couldn't eat it all so took a doggie bag when we left. Loved the cozy old home atmosphere, and the service was impeccable. The waiter would peek in at us often, but not bother us unless he saw that we might need something. We would definitely go again the next time in N'Awlins! MUCH better than fighting the crowd in the French Quarter.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Good menu, great preparation and presentation, attentive service, stress on fresh and local ingredients, modest prices (compared to anything in the Quarter)--what's not to like? This was our third time there in three trips to New Orleans over four years, and it's been memorable each time with no down sides. The trip out on the St. Charles streetcar is fun (when it runs all the way to the end, which it is not doing now so you catch a shuttle bus before Audobon Park).

1  Thank EastMainer
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have been to New Orleans 5 or 6 times in the past year, and I can't believe it took us to know to find this restaurant. There menu is always evolving, so check it monthly! We had what was probably the best tasting and well thought out menu for our diverse eating. I had the tres mignons (little Filets), my wife had the mussels and I think the lamb sheppards pie, my son had rabbit pasta and the mussels and daughter had the brussel sprouts (never ending) and the chicken under a brick? It was amazing!

1  Thank Eric F