“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Horinoya is a small restaurant on Poydras in the business district and it was one of only a few restaurants close to our hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal there and found it to be just what we're looking for when we go for sushi: delishious food, gracious service, and authentic. Highly recommend!

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I agree with the previous contributors that the food is delicious and I have found the staff to be rather attentive but I went with a colleague and two clients today and the cost was $88.00. It is $2.25 for a 12oz fountain soft drink and there are no free refills. So someone like me who may have two or three soft drinks discovers the cost of soft drinks (for one person) is almost the price of a six piece roll. Add up the other three individuals with their drinks and...you should know where I am going with this.

Would you rather brown rice on your roll? That will be 50 cents more per roll. If the rolls were inexpensive, say $5.00 or perhaps $6.00 then I could understand but both rolls I ordered were almost $7.00 so that made them $7.50.

My take is this; the food is great but at an average price of $22.00 a person I would consider going to a higher end restaurant and paying the difference or visiting another Japanese restaurant.

1  Thank Dollarman
Reviewed February 3, 2011

the most authentic japanese food we've had outside of japan.
love their udon and tonkatsu.

Reviewed April 2, 2010

This is one of only three restaurants in New Orleans where I will eat the raw fish. I have never had fish here that wasn't absolutely fresh. In addition, Horinoya has many traditional dishes that you don't see at too many Japanese restaurants in this area. It's tempting to eat the lunch or dinner specials (teriyaki, tempura, etc.) because they are the cheapest deals on the menu, but to really get a great meal here, venture into the other sections of the menu. The agedashi tofu (fried tofu), the kitsune soba (noodles with dried bean curd), and saba shioyaki (grilled mackerel) are all excellent. The atmosphere is very soothing and the decor is tasteful. The service is almost always efficient, though not always friendly.

Reviewed February 9, 2010

We sat at the sushi bar and was impressed by the freshness and variety of the seafood. I was surprised to find this caliber of a sushi bar in New Orleans. They have daily specials & the best days to go are Tuesdays & Fridays, shipment day! The wasabi was real wasabi & very fresh. Those who have had the real thing will understand. Highly recommended if you are a sushi snob like me! If you are looking for a rock & roll sushi roll joint where everything is chili pepper hot to mask the poor quality, don't go here. A very traditional Japanese restaurant that prides itself on quality.