“Excellent food in a most pleasant setting”

Gautreau's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gautreau's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #266 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Friends had recommended Gautreau's to us, and we were somewhat surpised by the lack of even a sign on the door when we arrived at its Garden District location. The room was formerly an apothecary shop many years ago, and sustained roof damage during Katrina. Fortunately, all is now restored and the dining room is most attractive, with the original shelves from the apothecary shop now forming the back of the bar. Our dinners were both excellent - the grouper with crab butter for me, the flounder for my wife. They offer a good selection of wines by the glass, and we enjoyed an excellent pinot grigio. Service was attentive and professional. When our server saw my wife put some ice in her wine, a glass of ice was immediately brought to the table. Portions are typical of an upscale French restaurant, and prices are not cheap, but we enjoyed the evening very much. We took a cab to the restaurant but returned via the St. Charles Avenue streetcar, which is only 3 blocks away and is a most interesting experience in itself. Incidentally, the fare for seniors is only $0.40, which is pretty amazing in this day and age!

1  Thank granddadb

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Quaint restaurant, neighborhood environment but best of all, superbly prepared dishes. We had a party of 5 and were amazed by the fine dining we experienced.

1  Thank LSF12_13
Reviewed March 8, 2013

In a city which can boast of several establishments' gumbos, this is indeed one of the best. The grouper with crabmeat was wonderfully prepared not overwrought with sauces. Did I mention the Sazerac, again a quintessential New Orleans cocktail.

Embedded in a quiet neighborhood, there's no signage. You approach as if you were entering a secret club. Lovely all around.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had a fabulous meal at Gautreau's on a busy Saturday night. The wine service was perfect - new glasses with each wine, beautiful stemware, professional. The food was amazing. My truffled cauliflower soup was the best choice of the night (in my book!), and everyone else was very pleased with theirs. I must say the fillet looked beautiful, and they said it was.

Great, quintessential New Orleans experience!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Gautreau is hidden in Uptown on a side street in a rehabbed local apothecary, or so I was told.   But beyond it's unique location and history in NOLA, it has some of the best food in town. The place is extremely small so be sure to have  reservations! I began my meal with their Winter salad. It was so good, I was wishing that I had ordered two.  My main was their redfish.  It was excellent.  I concluded with their bread pudding and substituted the chantilly cream for the ice cream.  It was a lighter version of your typical bread pudding with the lemon curd and blackberries.   I left the restaurant feeling fat and happy and having started my gourmand visit in the Big Easy somewhere off the beaten path. Definitely put this place on your list of good eats!

NOTE: Other yelpers commented on the noise level.  We had 7:00pm reservations and the noise level was average but by the time we left at 8:30, the level was noticeably higher. So to avoid the chatter, make your reservation at an earlier time!

3  Thank kimborkr