“Good Local Restaurant”

Ranked #67 of 1,948 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good Local Restaurant”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Visiting New Orleans, a resident of the city took us to Mandina's. Not fancy, but the place has a warmth to it. I had the Buster Crab Bayou ($25.95) that consisted of three fried softshell crabs, potatoes, a side salad, a side of green beans and bread pudding for dessert. Having had softshell crabs in Maryland, these were not as tasty, but they were okay. My two friends both had a half-loaf oyster sandwich ($12.50). Trust me -- a half-loaf is a large portion and the sandwich came loaded with fried oysters. They both liked the oysters very much. We all had a cup of seafood gumbo ($5.25) which, in my opinion, was the best part of the meal. The gumbo was served with the lightest French bread I've ever had; it was very good. If you want a restaurant frequented by locals instead of the more touristy places, give Mandina's a try. Also, I was told that the Italian food on the menu is very good.

Omaha, Nebraska
“Eat where the locals eat--there's a reason”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a terrific little spot located outside of the tourist areas of the city---a couple miles away from the French Quarter. It had been recommended by a former resident of the city. We were told this has been a much loved restaurant by locals for many years...it did not disappoint. This places oozes local charm and friendliness and the food was outstanding. We ate there early on a weekday evening and there was no wait. The service was unpretentious and good. The atmosphere is casual and relaxed. I had shrimp and clams; my wife had an oyster po boy and a bowl of gumbo. Both meals were great--the gumbo was to die for. The price was very reasonable. We'll be back whenever we are in New Orleans.

• Visited March 2013
Mt Vernon
“A local restaurant with history”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We liked that it was a local favorite but being Friday night it was PACKED! So prepare to wait or do what we did: eat at the bar! I didn't feel the overwhelming need to sit so we turned around and ordered a nice meal and a beer right at the bar and the staff couldn't have been nicer about it. Also many people were ordering out and stopping by to pick up their meals. The restaurant was closed for 18 months after Hurricane Katrina and was reopened with great joy in the local community and has been running for 70 plus years in the same family. So the history was interesting and we felt we had another taste not just of the cuisine but the local history of New Orleans. A plus: we could travel there and back to our hotel on the Canal Street streetcar.

Visited March 2013
hiltonhead
“Fabulous Local Restaurant”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just the perfect restaurant to try all the local New Orleans special foods and feel the local charm. Not a tourist trap at all!! You can't go wrong! Take the Canal St. Trolley. We had shrimp Poboy and a cup of gumbo. Everything was delicious! I saw so many yummy dishes going by that we will have to go back there!! Service was wonderful and friendly.

• Visited March 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
“AWESOME SHRIMP REMOULADE”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

On my many trips to New Orleans, I have passed Mandina's several times on the way to church. It is located on Canal about 2 miles from the French Quarter. Mandina's is a family run business that has been in business for many decades. It was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina, but was rebuilt. It is a great restaurant to visit that is not full of tourists but more local families. My daughter and I visited on a Sunday around 4 pm. Even at that time it was very busy, but there was a table available upstairs. I highly recommend the Shrimp Remoulade which is on the appetizer menu, but one could make a meal of it! It is absolutely delicious, and I would go back to Mandina's just for the Shrimp Remoulade. My daughter ordered the Gumbo which she said was very good. She also ordered the Chicken Parmesan, and I ordered the Meatball Sandwich with Mozzarella. The portions are very large, and we took a lot home in to-go boxes. I was so stuffed from eating the Shrimp Remoulade that I was a little too full to enjoy my Meatball Sandwich. Service was great! There was a large party of 10 adults at the next table when we arrived who were talking too loud, but that is not the fault of the restaurant. Mandina's is a great place for families with children too.

• Visited February 2013