“One block off St Charles Avenue”
Review of Coulis

Coulis
Ranked #316 of 2,019 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was a delightful find. Breakfast, soups & sandwiches just a block from St Charles Avenue. It was just a little more expensive than I would have liked, but for New Orleans, it wasn't out of line. The place and its staff are just a little quirky, but I loved it.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were able to get a table very quickly, thanks to everyone who slept in. Customers who came
Ayer were seated quickly. I had the creole eggs, which was wonderful. A large serving of eggs and grits, with sausage gravy on a tomato. The gravy was special, and not overwhelming. The other diner had the pork chop offering and was very satisfied. We had good, friendly service. The restaurant wasn't packed with tables, which is annoying. Restaurants should go for efficiency and turnover, not cramming people together. Parking was unusually easy due to it being a holiday. The place closed two hours early for the holiday, something o keep in mind.

1  Thank tireddriver_10
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I had seen Coulis for a couple of years (since we moved to New Orleans), but had never visited. We set up at the breakfast bar and were immediately welcomed and had our drinks made (they do not have booze), but you can bring in alchol for bloody marys or mimosas. The servers all told us what their favorites were and they did not disappoint. I had the eggs benedict, but instead of the english muffin I had cornbeef hash and my wife had bagel and lox plus bacon (our servers favorite). The food was awesome! I also got a side of hash browns, which I will get probably everythime we go back. All this was arounf $30 for 2 (before tip). We will be back!!

1  Thank Tommy A
Reviewed May 11, 2012

One of my friends who is a NOLA native recommended Coulis and I'm so glad he did! We would have missed a great breakfast had we driven by because there is nothing appealing about the exterior to make you want to stop and eat there. When we finally found a parking space (street parking only) we joined what appeared to be half of NOLA's law enforcement contingent was there eating...always a great endorsement because those guys/gals know food!
I ordered an omelet and cheese grits. Because I can't do wheat, I had to order a second choice for side and was amused to see black beans as an option. Okay...when in Rome. Although I would never have considered that combination had they not suggested it, it was great!
The service wasn't great as the servers are typical in those great eateries that locals love thus high volume business. You're almost afraid to ask for water or coffee refill because they might snarl at you, but the food made up for what Coulis lacks in ambiance and service. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank WahineSistah
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Couli's is amazing. The folks are welcoming, intelligent and attentive. The food is creative, colorful and flavorful --especially the Eggs Benicio and huevos rancheros. Also satisfying coffee! But it is the people that are great: example: our 11 year old asked the waiter if ALL the extensive toppings listed for french toast came with the order. The waiter smiled slyly, said, "They can"---and they did, all for the basic price. Don't miss this gem (esp on weekdays -- less rush!).

1  Thank TreyMarks