“Could have been so much better”

Galatoire's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Galatoire's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #226 of 2,143 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Iberville
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant because we wanted somewhere special to dine. Only after the confirmation came through from Open Table were we made aware of the jacket rule. We are on holiday... no jacket packed. They had many spare jackets at the door but were keen to give me something 4 sizes too large. The hostess was barely patient while I tried alternatives. A simple device of labelling jacket sizes would make this a much more comfortable experience for customers.

THE GOOD
Food was simple and well prepared.
Best crab we have had in New Orleans!
Service was a little snooty to start with but the waiter soon warmed up and was keen to ensure we were happy and explain the menu.

THE NOT SO GOOD
The noise was unbearable - we could not hear each other, or the waiter. This was so bad that we were planning to leave before we had even ordered.
Twice we were interrupted to sing happy birthday to complete strangers... this may be a tradition but it belongs in a fast food restaurant.
Waiter’s dinner jackets were ill fitting and most were wearing black sneakers. We had to dress the part, and would expect the staff to have made the same effort.
Lastly, one of the desserts was served with an insect crawling over it! A replacement was provided. In the UK we would not be charged for this, but it appeared on the bill anyway.

CONCLUSION
An expensive night out from a restaurant that thinks it is ‘top of its class.’
It didn’t make the grade for us.

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed August 15, 2018

One of the premier restaurants in New Orleans is Galatoire's locatred on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. During the month of August Galatoire's participates in the annual Coolinary Event. At Galatoire's their Coolinary Menu features a three course meal for $20.00. Our party of five all had the Okra and Shrimp Gumbo. Very good. Three in our party had the Shrimp au Vin with mushrooms and white wine, while the others had Blackened Drum with tomato brûlée and hollandaise sauce. Excellent. For dessert we all had the Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with chocolate sauce, caramel, whipped cream and sliced almonds. Overall an excellent dining experience. You don't have to wear a suit, dress is business casual for lunch. If you are a tourist and want to have lunch during Coolinary at one of the finest restaurants in New Orleans please be advised that shorts are not allowed. To conclude Coolinary allows many to try out some of the best restaurants in the city and at a reasonable price. And one of those is Galatoire's.

2  Thank 465vicw
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Friday lunch, Galatoire’s is the place to be! Nestled amongst trash and trashy strip clubs on Bourbon street (but also amongst other great restaurants and bars.) Galatoire’s takes no reservations for Friday lunch, so there are locals and others who pay people to wait in line for them. If you want to sit in the bar or upstairs, you can get the same food, but without the wait. Speaking of which, the food was not very impressive, although there were a couple of appetizers John, our server, recommended, including the Soufflé potatoes. I’d recommend them for sure. So, speaking of our server, he was great but a little talkative, which is kind of the theme of the loud, social atmosphere of the Friday lunch. No one is in a rush to leave, including John. Second seating for lunch (waitlist, also) is anywhere between 2-4pm usually. Overall, I give the service and atmosphere a five star, and the food, overall, a three star. Must do bucket list, if you want to have a fun time!

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

We were a group of six for dinner in the downstairs dining room. It’s a simple but classy dinning room made for people watching and entertainment as there is group cheering for all special events happening during dinner (birthdays, engagements, etc). The quality of the food was excellent. Most unique was trying powdered sugar with hot sauce to dip eggplant into and my favorite appetizers were the crab maison salad and shrimp remoulade. The soufflé potatoes and oysters en brochete were good but not standouts in my mind. My red fish with crab yvonne (mushrooms, and artichoke) was so good. We shared asparagus, au gratin potatoes, and broiled tomatoes for the table which were all good. Beware of their freshly made bread which is served warm - it’s addicting. Always room for some dessert - pecan pie with Oreo crust was very good but I think I would try something different next time around.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

I did not want to eat here as they have a dress code, but my spouse wanted to. It’s NOLA. It’s muggy. It’s outrageously muggy. Jackets are required at dinner but lunch was more casual requiring just long pants and a collared shirt, so that’s what we did. For the record, loaner jackets are available.

ATMOSPHERE:
The dining room is very plain, not warm or elegant especially with the tacky wall mirror that encircles the entire room. For a place that has a dress code, I was expecting more. It was fairly empty at lunch sans for a large party that made as much noise as if the restaurant was fully packed.

MENU:
Higher end apps, soup, salads, omelettes, poultry, shellfish, fish, meats, desserts.

FOOD:
Garlic Bread – complimentary
In addition to melted butter, fresh garlic was visible on each slice. I didn’t have any due to its offensiveness and

Oysters en Brochette - $13.75
This appetizer was my favorite selection of the entire lunch. The oysters were delicately fried with an airy batter and drizzled with a butter sauce and bacon bits. Simply delish.

Soufflé Potatoes - $7.50
How in the world did they make these?! They’re like large steak fries that are hollowed out, leaving just the exterior skin and batter. As you cut them they deflate like a jumping castle being taken down, lol. A decadent béarnaise sauce accompanied.

Turtle Soup au Sherry - $8.75/bowl
This is one dish I had to try while in NOLA and I was happy they offered it. It was tomato-based like a minestrone and tasted like it too, with minced turtle meat that was similar in texture to abalone. You wouldn’t even know you’re eating turtle.

Shrimp Marguery - $24.00
I had a hard time deciding which shellfish dish to order and chose this, unfortunately, by reading others’ reviews. I imagined plump, seared shrimp bathed in smooth, creamy sauces. What I received were six shrimp drowning in a pool of hollandaise and béchamel sauces in a small baking dish that was broiled. The result was an Exxon-like oil spill, with the sauces separating from their binders that left a clumpy mess. To add insult to injury, the shrimp weren’t seared at all, pretty much just boiled in the oils.

Filet Mignon - $34.00
My spouse’s visual unappealing dish. For an additional $4, came a ramekin of hollandaise sauce. That’s all that was on the plate – the steak sprinkled with parsley and the cup of hollandaise. While less is usually more, it looked like it was plated by a child. Looks aside, the filet’s temperature was served pretty raw and not even close to rare. Sad.

Potatoes au Gratin - $7.00
Besides fingerling potatoes, au gratin is my second least favorite preparation style, but I really like it here due to its moisture and cheesiness.

SERVICE:
Martine took great care of us. She was very friendly, pleasant and professional. Thank you!

OVERALL:
Some people love this type of dining but not me. Enjoyable apps, great service. Not a return for us due to the lackluster entrees.

Date of visit: June 2018