“Great Friday lunch with the wife.”

Galatoire's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Galatoire's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Iberville
New Orleans
“Great Friday lunch with the wife.”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

My wife and I went on a Friday for lunch on our anniversary. We did wait for a while for a table but that is expected at Galatoire's. The wait at the bar was actually quite entertaining and the drinks kept comming. A real old school New Orleans restaurant. This place is NOT Disney World so enjoy dining in a real restaurant.

“My # 3 Favorite Restaurant in New Orleans”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We went there for lunch on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving with family and friends. The food and service was terrific. The escargot was the best I ever had, replacing my previous number one snails at LeBec Fin in Philadelphia.

Although the atmosphere is very nice it gets pretty loud in the down stairs room with all the booze and tables stacked real close together. I understand the upstairs is more quiet but I never was up there. If you are staying in the Quarter you must come here for a long but great lunch.

Dublin, Ireland
“Rich, good food, nice atmosphere, TERRIBLE service”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had very high hopes for Galatoire's based on previous reviews & its Zagat rating. We arrived dressed up - me in the same outfit I wore to the French Laundry and my husband in a jacket (unlike the couple that walked in before us) - and were quickly shown to a table at the very back of the restaurant, next to the bar and kitchen walkway. It was away from a screeching child, so I couldn't complain too much but obviously not an ideal seat in the dining room.

Prior to going, we had read that if you were unsure of what to order to defer to the waiter's recommendation. This is where things went downhill. We figured out very quickly what appetizer we wanted so that wasn't a problem but the waiter wanted us to order our full meal having only had the menu for a minute or two. We asked what he recommended for a main meal and he started pushing the app (that we were already going to order) and some potato souffles. We didn't want to be full before the meal even arrived so we passed on the potatoes and he seemed offended somehow. We ordered sazeracs and he spent a lot of time explaining to us what they were even though we told him we'd already had them. [Note: they put ice in theirs.] When we asked for a main course recommendation he seemed flustered at having to talk through the menu, stuttering and fumbling his way through the conversation. The only dish he kept pushing was the trout almondine, which sounded good, but he didn't tell us about anything else. The waiter two tables over was giving very detailed and crisp descriptions to his table. I wish we could have heard him better. Based on his descriptions we said we weren't ready to order yet and needed some more time with the menu. He said okay and walked away. And then our appetizer came while our menus were still on the table. And they stayed on the table for a long time while we waited for him to come back. We were done with the appetizer before he even took our main entree order - trout almondine and a crab dish with hollandaise, bechemel, and green onions. The waiter said he liked that one and it was a good choice. I hoped so because that was all I had to go on. We also ordered asparagus so that we could get some vegetables in. He kind of sneered at that, but whatever.

Our food comes and the trout almondine is beautiful. The crab dish is a pot of lump crab met literally swimming in a rich thick gravy like sauce. It tasted good but WHO EATS THAT MUCH SAUCE? The asparagus was cold and had probably been steamed and then put in an ice bath several minutes before.

At the end of our meal, he finally comes back and asks us if we want dessert. We don't because of how rich and filling the food was. He actually huffed as he walked away. He brought us our check, literally putting just a piece of paper on our table and walking away. I'm at a five star establishment and you can't even bother to put that damn piece of paper in one of those leather portfolios? I know you have them BECAUSE WE'RE SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO THE REGISTER.

At that point I wanted nothing more than to get out of there. It was clear that our waiter wanted us gone and was making no effort to hide it. We were spending over $100 on a meal and he couldn't be bothered to even pretend to do his job? Because of him I spent my last 20 minutes in Galatoire's wishing I had kept our reservation at Muriel's instead. (We had Sunday brunch there and everything about that meal surpassed Galatoire's in every way.)

Like I said at the beginning of this review, I've eaten at the French Laundry and several high-end restaurants in San Francisco and Oakland which is to say that we're not new to fine dining. We love food and can usually have a great meal in any location, in any circumstance, but I have NEVER had service this poor in a restaurant with such a stellar reputation. In fact, I had better service at Cafe du Monde than I did at Galatoire's. I just wish I could remember the name of the waiter so that you could avoid him at all costs. Because of him I will never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1 Thank Becky-in-Oakland
Ohio
“Quintessential New Orleans”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This was our first stop in New Orleans after checking into our hotel. Even before unpacking our suitcases, we were lunching with the locals in the first-floor dining room of this New Orleans grand dame. So wonderful to be back -- even better than we remembered! Shrimp remoulade, turtle soup, eggs sardou -- heaven! What other restaurant asks which waiter you prefer?? Our previous waitress, Shannon, was out of town, but we enjoyed our new waiter, Tim. Such happy times, such good memories. Fabulous!

Tampa, Florida
“Outstanding as usual”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

When we go to New Orleans we always make sure we have dinner at Galatoires. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere has not changed since we started coming here 30 years ago. It is actually nice to see people dressed appropriately. We started by having the duck gumbo and a duck crepe, both of which were special. I always get Chicken Clemenceau and have never regretted it while my wife is a fan of their soft shell crap which has never been beaten by other restaurants. The service was outstanding as well with complete attention and neither too fast nor too slow. Will certainly return on our next NOLA trip

Visited November 2011