“Good, but not the best!”

Mother's Restaurant
Ranked #181 of 1,933 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Authentic N'Awlins home-style cooking since 1938. The Amato family welcomes you for a taste of tradition.Home of award-winning Jambalaya, the famous Ferdi Special, and the original debris-laden roast beef.Private room for parties, rehearsal dinners and special events.
“Good, but not the best!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I didn't get all the hype about this place. The food was good, but I've had better poboys which cost less. I visited with some friends and we sat at a fairly large table, then were asked to move to a smaller one. I can understand if the place was super busy but there was hardly anyone in there. Overall I wasn't impressed with the food or the service.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank amars662

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, OH
“Po Boys for the Rich”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my second visit to Mother's. I had seen it featured on Food Network so we gave it a shot. Let me preface by saying, yes, Mother;s is a landmark that has been in the city for near 100 years. HOWEVER, like Cafe du Monde, this doesn't give you a free pass. My number 1 complaint, the staff was unbelievably rude. While waiting in line one young lady came around the corner and said "move it." AT the register, the girl ringing wouldn't even look at me and kept talking to me while her head was completely turned. This caused me to not be able to here her and I had to repeat myself several times, and the order was still wrong. We told the girl at the register it was for eat in and then when we sat down another employee yelled at us for sitting saying our order was for take out.
When we finally received our food it was just ok. It'd be a stretch to say it's the best po' boy ever (and at between 10-13 a sandwich) hardly for the poor. If you want a giant sloopy sandwich, to eat where Food Network has been and to be treated rudely than this place is worth the walk from the French Quarter. If not then there are several restaurants that offer nearly identical sandwiches. Like Cafe du Monde, I hope they make some changes and restore themselves to their former glory.

1 Thank lborn724
London, United Kingdom
“Not quite up to expectation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's not a typical restaurant- you go here for the food- in our case, it was to experience the 'legendary' Po Boys. (that's a "poor boy sandwich') and the food scored a 4 out of 5, but it is an expensive, albeit filling sandwich. Our teens said they would go back. I wouldn't. Worth doing if you want to complete your "famous food places in New Orleans" to do list. For me, I don't know whether the other places we visited had set the bar too high. This is obviously a 'must do' for many, but I was left scratching my head and wondering what the fuss was about.

1 Thank bertiesmile19
MothersRestaurant, Owner at Mother's Restaurant, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
You're right, folks come here for the food---in our case, in the style of home cooking. Mother's has always been a typical, no frills New Orleans joint for po' boys and plate lunches. Its origins 75 years ago as a working class cafeteria have been intentionally kept in place for historical purposes. The dock workers and longshoremen who once inhabited this neighborhood were looking for meals that were "filling." That's a tradition we uphold.

We're pleased that the food merited a "4 out of 5." We kindly ask that people judge us on the reality of their experience, not expectations. Thanks for checking us out.
Savannah, Georgia
“LIVES UP TO THE HYPE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The line was wrapped around the corner as it was Essence Festival but it moves very quickly. Ask for a menu because there is very little patients for those who don't know what they want. We went twice in two days so that tells you something. The Debris is something to write home about. Must try! Also the cabbage and potato salad were stellar! Sit in Margarite's section...she is a HOOT...GREAT SERVICE. Regardless of what the signs say TIP YOUR SERVERS!

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. We appreciate it!
“It doesn't get more down home than this!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I try to stop here on every trip. A down home "greasy spoon" where grits, ham, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Etouffee and Po Boys don't get any better! Served by locals who have been here for years, it is New Orleans to the bone. Don't be in a rush. Just take it all in!

• Visited August 2013
MothersRestaurant, Owner at Mother's Restaurant, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Good insights... "don't be in a rush, take it all in." We think that sometimes people mistakenly compare us to a shiny, bright, fast food joint. Instead, we're a 75-year old New Orleans institution still operating in a style that harkens back to days gone by. We're the keepers of tradition.