“Not So Hot”

Ranked #165 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Authentic N'Awlins home-style cooking since 1938. The Amato family welcomes you for a taste of tradition.Home of award-winning Jambalaya, the famous Ferdi Special, and the original debris-laden roast beef.Private room for parties, rehearsal dinners and special events.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

People lined up outside this very small building. Way too long of a line for my husband and I to wait in. We drove by at an "off time", there were only about six people outside ghe door, as opposed to a good 50, so we decided to pick up two po'boys (?) for dinner. it was highly recommended to try the roast beef with "Debris". Debris is the stuff that falls off the beef into the pan juices during cooking. The house specialty is baked ham. So we got one of each, took them back to our room and were anxious to try the "highly recommended", sandwiches. We were disappointed. They just weren't that good. All I can say is we were glad we didn't spend any more time in the line than we did. I guess the price was okay, but it doesn't compare to the sandwiches we get right down the street from where we live in Byram (a little section of Greenwich, CT) called Firehouse Deli. The "wedges" are almost twice the size and a little less in price.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,724)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Mothers is old New Orleans. I remember when there were lines out the door. Order at the counter and then a relatively long wait for your food. The po-boys and jambalya are as good as anywhere but nothing special. I would go again, just wouldn't be a destination and wouldn't want to wait in line.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If only my Mother could cook like this! The food was delicious. The restaurant was filled with locals. While there you could imagine yourself as a part of the community, belonging to the city. The staff was friendly, as were the customers.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I've visited Mothers several times over the past 10 years. Maybe my tastes have changed or maybe it wasn't as good, either way I didn't leave dreaming about my next visit this time. Don't be scared by the line, it went fast, service was great, better than expected. I might return, but I might not is all I can say.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant was definitely not my style. You walk in step in to a counter and order your food. Being unfamiliar with the food I need to ask questions. The staff didn't seem to be interested in explaining anything they just wanted a hurry you along. Then you look for an empty table and someone takes your receipt and brings you food. Very often it seemed they bringing the wrong food. There was nothing special about food. The place did not look particularly clean or reasonably maintained. Trust me, there are a lot of better places to eat in New Orleans