“Cozy Comfort Cool Classy”
Review of Bayona

Bayona
Reserve with OpenTable
Bayona is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Louis
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Tucked away from the frenetic that is Bourbon Street but just by a block or two is Bayona, Chef Susan Spicer’s local gem. The waiting / cocktail porch was matched to and equally intimate courtyard, properly lit and landscaped and served as a mood-maker for the meal that would follow.

Directed by our concierge with some entrée coaching in advance, our meal at Bayona was all that and then some. The signature shrimp with a black bean cake arrived with the bean element a silky foil to the perfectly cooked shrimp. While we were tempted to order the sweatbreads (a signature) we instead ordered the rabbit which was prepared that evening with a loin and a leg and finished with a sauce that paired so well it was magical.

We noticed a healthy-portioned quail salad on a nearby table as well as a duck breast entrée – so the kitchen is well accustomed to preparing game.

White tables, house baked breads, and first class and friendly table tending were the order of the day as well as a sturdy wine list with price points for everyone.

This restaurant works well for couples or for a celebration of the intimate and classy element that lives in New Orleans. Save the frenetic for Bourbon Street and drift up to cozy, comfortable, cool and classy that is Bayona.

1  Thank truefeedback
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I ate here Wednesday at lunchtime. The weather was amazing so we were able to sit in the beautiful courtyard. We enjoyed everything we ate and drank very much. We started with a Stormy Morning cocktail -- very refreshing. Our first course was the Goat Cheese Crouton and Roasted Garlic Soup. Simply amazing. For Entrees we ordered Smoked Duck PB&J and Pan Roasted Golden Tilefish. Both dishes were perfect. The PB&J is a must try, made with pepper jelly and cashew butter. For dessert we enjoyed a special that day which was a Mascarpone Cheesecake. I'll never eat cream cheese cake again.

Lunch menu prices range from $6-$11 for apps and salads. Main course selections from $13 - $17

Our afternoon was perfect. I look forward to returning and highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Bayona is one of the best restaurants in the French Quarter. We have dined there every year for the past five years and have yet to be disappointed. The restaurant's setting is very appealing, and if weather permits, dining in their courtyard is wonderful for its beauty and tranquility. If you dine indoors, ask to sit in the main dining room as the smaller rooms sometimes feel bit confining, though not crowded. All of the rooms are nicely decorated and seating is comfortable. The menu is not extensive, with about six or seven entrees most of the time. The entrees are interesting and always nicely prepared. Service is good without being overbearing, and your wait person will be able to help you with recommendations, should you wish. You will do well to save room for the dessert-my family has been known to order seconds!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Although the service let me down, there is no question this is a wonderful restaurant. Whereas others in the French Quarter seem to be resting of their laurels, Bayona stands head and shoulders above the rest. Seated promptly, however, I was just as promptly forgotten. That was strange as my reservation was for 9:00 PM (it was Halloween Night), and there were few other dinners in the place. I started with the sweetbreads and, even though I had been ignored for rather too long, they were worth the wait. A gorgeous sea scallop course followed. A perfectly lovely eating experience. I'll go again, but I hope the service is better.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We ate here on a Thursday night and not on a busy weekend night where both the front and back of the house is under pressure. The attractive dining room was full, but service was very average with unwarranted waits between courses. Our bread was not delivered for fifteen minutes after we ordered and not until after our appetizers arrived. We ultimately asked for bread and were informed is was being made. Other tables didn't have the same experience. Bayona is a mature award winning establishment and uneven service like this surprised me.

I ate only half of my porkloin main dish. It was attractively presented but was slightly on the dry side and the flavor combination imo missed the mark. My wife's main course of duck was good, but not that good and sadly the accompaniments were "tongue curlingly salty".

When the kitchen noticed my main course was mostly still on the plate, they plied me for a reason without me making a complaint. I just didn't like it. They comped our two glasses of wine. There were too many 'fohpahs' and there are too many exceptional dining choices in this town for us to consider returning.

1  Thank Peter K

Been to Bayona? Share your experiences!