“Disappointed with return visit to Bayona”
Review of Bayona

Bayona
Reserve with OpenTable
Bayona is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 1,979 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Louis
Reviewed March 12, 2008

For a high-end restaurant, one expects more from Bayona. Susan Spicer is a well-known "celebrity chef". Her famous New Orleans restaurant,Bayona, just didn't do it for us on this visit. We loved our meals at Stella and Dick & Jenny's but Bayona was disappointing.

The restaurant itself is cute and quaint, with a nice courtyard behind. It is very loud. Our wait staff were very capable and friendly.

The food was simply uninspired and average. As we write reviews for our trip we can recall almost every bite at some other restaurants. At Bayona we struggled to recall what we ate. It just did not stand out.

My wife had the Bayona Salad which was good. She followed with a goat cheese crouton appetizer with mushrooms. This was delicious and the highlight of her meal. She expected her entree to be delicious but... she chose the Hanger Steak which she ordered medium. This was essentially a piece of flank steak. I think the chef was going for the flavor aspect in this more humble cut of meat. Unfortunately, it was simply tough. I chose this as my entree too as the server recommended this over the lamb which I was going to order. I had mine rare and it was a bit better than my wife's. I had a shrimp appetizer which was fair, and the garlic soup which was quite good.

Again, in no way a bad meal. Just one of those things when you are putting down $200 for a meal (with wine) one expects more.

Have eaten here previously and had a better experience so hopefully this one entree was an aberration.

Reviewed March 5, 2008

wasn't brave enough to try the sweetbreads, maybe next time

Reviewed February 26, 2008

Honestly, thought it was overrated. Excellent service.

New Orleans, LA
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Awesome food!

Reviewed January 31, 2008

susan spicer. need i say more