“Amazing food”
Review of Restaurant August

Restaurant August
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,948 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
Huntsville, Alabama
“Amazing food”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This review is for the Friday lunch service. It may or may not be indicitive of regular dinner service.

We were able to enjoy an amazing lunch consisting of three courses at the Restaurant August in New Orleans. A Prix Fixe menu is available with two appetizer, entree, and dessert selections. Full menu items are also available. The Prix Fixe menu, at $20.14, is the greatest deal in the history of fine dinning. We were able to enjoy crawfish bisque, pate with house made pickles, two orders of red fish in a mustard malt aoli, a chocolate tart, and a lemon pudding. All of the items were filled with robust flavors and beautiful presentations. In addition, a free green onion mousse with parmesan custard was provided for tasting along with dessert truffles and pralines. So, in reality, this lunch turned into a five course meal.

Astonishing value for impeccable food, handmade with care. The service was astonishing as well. Thank you Restaurant August!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank rusheagle

• Korean first
Seattle, Washington
“Great food, lovely experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I ended up eating here by myself, which I thought would be awkward, but I am so glad I did. It was the best meal I had during my three day stay in New Orleans.

I started with a fresh chop salad at the recommendation of the waiter, and I am glad that I did. It was fresh, refreshing, and perfectly dressed. I then had the trout for the main course. It was very good, but the best part of the meal for me was the dessert. The Meyer lemon souffle tart. It was frickin' amazing. It has been a week and I am already pining for it. It was perfectly tart, a little sweet, and came with ginger ice cream which balanced everything perfectly.

I also appreciated that they had a lot of choices for wine by the glass, since I didn't want to try and drink a whole bottle by myself.

1 Thank Governmentflunkie
Saskatoon, Canada
“august (adj.) - inspiring admiration or eminent”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Tried this restaurant based on TripAdvisor and other travel books' recommendation and high expectations were nicely met. NIce ambiance with warm wooden decor and high ceilings in the main area. Friendly and efficient service. Food was tasty and inspired. Would recommend the warm appetizers for starters: potato gnocchi and potato crisp P & J oysters. Extensive wine list and good suggestions from the server for wine pairings. Would recommend to friends.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Saskatoonmd
Oklahoma City, OK USA
“Best restaurant in NOLA”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This place is outstanding. The service is extraordinary as is the atmosphere. The food is so good and presented in such a beautiful way that I could not help taking photos of each dish. The food is delicious. We could not ask for more from a restaurant.

1 Thank SoonerSteve
Conway, Arkansas
“Who made off with the rest of our food? Signed, Hungry.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thankfully, we made reservations for the Prix fixe lunch, so we felt the meal price was reasonable despite the petit portions. But if you order drinks, the value diminishes. Dinner drinks brought our total to almost $90 with a 20% tip. However, your August food experience may work well if you consider this meal more of a short term food fix and make your reservations for a late lunch and plan to eat an early supper (we ate lunch from 1 to 2 and beat the dinner crowd by starting our evening meal at 5:30 without a reservation). You'll have plenty of time for after dinner entertainment! So, why the 3 stars, you ask? Although the meal was exciting and of a nice quality, the portions really are ridiculous. Also, I felt uncomfortable with the slightly stuffy service. For each course the entire table is reset. This might appeal to some, but we couldn't possibly use all the silver ware laid out for each course. We essentially had three complete settings for our tiny courses. It was almost humorous; definitely more pomp than portion. Advice: plan your meal time carefully and research what you order before arrival so you aren't caught dissappointed. I loved the egg cup and my husband loved the pork belly. I will probably return again for the prix fixe lunch, and make early dinner plans as before. Personally, I wouldn't go for an evening meal.

1 Thank Suzanne M