“August every time of the year”
Review of Restaurant August

Restaurant August
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,978 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant in New Orleans. The first time we went there was about three years ago. The short ribs were the very best we have ever had. I still dream of their watermelon gazpacho; the first time I had crudo with strawberry; the ramen noodle ($25! I can't believe I paid $25 for ramen noodles, yet I came back for more...). The best part of the meal for me? The palate cleanser.

I understand that they have changed chefs... So far, I have not been that wildly upset. Of course, I miss Chef Michael and Chef Jackie. And the wait staff has also changed... yet, I am still willing to give them a try... but be aware that Peche is not too far away...

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was our favorite meal of the 5 top restaurants that we visited.Todd was our server and an excellent one at that. We started with the chef's gift offering which was a half eggshell containing pureed garlic custard with sweet potato a wonderful way to set the palate. This was followed by a traditional breaded trout Pontchartrain, Gulf grouper "courtbouillon" and concluded with a banana bread pudding (a favorite of mine but never have I eaten it so perfectly cooked) This was accompanied by a bottle of a Russian River Californian Chardonnay. Needless to say it was a perfect meal. There was one small but irritating problem concerning the location of the table in that the headlights from cars turning into the street were dazzling. Perhaps the management could take advice from the Boeing 787 in installing touch dimming windows?

Reviewed December 15, 2013

(Note: This is a review of the Friday prix fixe lunch ONLY. Other meals almost certainly offer a better experience.)
We were here for the Friday lunch a couple of years ago and had a wonderful meal at a terrific price. We felt as if the staff were glad to see us and trying out some new dishes that were uniformly interesting and mostly great.
So we were excited about going back.
This time, we had a very good $20 meal. The service was perfunctory but correct, the food (aside from the desserts) not anything we hadn't more or less tasted before, but tasty. (It makes me feel like a prima donna to say it, but it didn't help that we were seated in a pokey back room with some ill-dressed tourists, while many tables were available in the front.)
August is a great restaurant and I'll happily go back for dinner or an a la carte lunch (if someone else is paying: I can't afford it), but I don't think we'll go the prix fixe route again.

2  Thank Porcophile
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is the third visit to August and we have never been disappointed. The food was excellent. I had the vegetarian reveillon "A Tasting of Farmers Market Vegetables" Cauliflower soup with curry and saffron, bruleed goat cheese, sweet potato mezzaluna, "pot au feu, meyer lemon soufflé tart. Oh my, so so delicious! My husband had the gnocchi and breaded trout Ponchartrain. Just wonderful! The wine selection is very extensive, our wine was great. The only complaint is our seating and I can blame myself for not asking for a different location. We were placed in the center of the main dining room adjacent to the table with a large urn/fresh flower arrangement and a large bowl of ice chilling sparkling wine. A cold front had come in so every time the door opened we were hit with a blast of cold air. We always make the effort to eat here when in NOLA. Really, really wonderful.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Service was flawless, food was perfect. If you are in New Orleans and want true "old school" creole done right, this is the place. From the delightful aperteif to white truffles as a parting gift, you will not be disapointed.