WINNER WONDERLAND

“Two of Life's Best Meals” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant August

Restaurant August
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 1,872 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
SoCA
“Two of Life's Best Meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We dined here early during our vacation (Padma said it's her fave) and had to go back for our final, memorable meal. We had no reservation the last night, a Saturday, and none were available at OpenTable. We went early on a hope and prayer that we'd be able to eat in the bar. The hostess seated us at a table in the dining room. All good!

The cocktails both nights were stellar: refreshing and creative.

The dining rooms are beautiful; we ate in the "wine room" and the main dining room. The service staff is EXCELLENT; well trained, informative, unobtrusive, attentive, and charming. Everyone made us feel like we were the most fantastic guests they'd ever served. And they managed to treat everyone around us as graciously without being at all phony or snobby. The owners know how to hire and train their personnel which is rare these days. When you are spending a lot of money for a dining experience it is nice to be treated well.

And the food...every mouthful was an explosion of deliciousness. Many layers of flavor that complimented each other to our total delight. I took the smallest bites possible to make the pleasure last as long as possible. The dishes were plated beautifully. Aromas were heavenly. Everyone around us was exclaiming about how happy they were with their dishes. We enjoyed starters, mains, and desserts both nights and all were so delicious. They present a complimentary amuse bouche and sweets plate - nice touches.

We are so happy that we managed to start and end our dining tour of New Orleans at Restaurant August. Go, treat yourself and someone you love to a great meal in New Orleans!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank TVRDH

• Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great dining- one of many great places to eat in New Orleans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Every bite was a delight, I did feel that we did not get that much attention because we were not drinking, and our bill was not going to be that high. The wine prices are nuts, but we did enjoy the food. The mixed salad was amazing, and not like anything I have ever eaten. My wife got the grouper which was wonderful. I would review the menu prior to going. I don't eat meat, and as such my choices were limited, but that is me. I had eggplant as a main course, and it was also very good. But like I said, once our waiter realized we were not drinkers, the attention dropped from a 10 to a 2, and the table next to us, drinking wine got 10 times the amount of attention.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, WI
“Amazingly Creative Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was not expecting this place to be so formal, but despite fancy service and decor the food was amazing. All the reviews are spot on, this place is amazing. Everything that we had was creative and tasted wonderful.

Visited August 2013
Houston
“A fine dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was a birthday dinner. Food was excellent and so was service. I was a little taken back because my husband surprised me with this birthday dinner when we had agreed on going elsewhere. For a meal of this caliber I was fine with food prices. Wine prices were alarming. ($38 for a glass of champagne - we passed). If money is no object you will be more than pleased.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, SC
“Don't waste your time & money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

One of the worst experiences I have ever had dining in New Orleans! I would never eat here again or any of Besh's restaurants. I sent a letter detailing our experience and it wasn't even acknowledged. Go to Delmonico's!

• Visited November 2012