“Wow !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant August

Restaurant August
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,932 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
us
“Wow !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was in town on business. Sat alone at the bar, as a rule something I don't like to do. Staff was extraordinarily friendly and attentive. I had the tasting menu with the paired wine flight. Serious, creative and comfortable food. Good wine. I'll definitely be back.

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Fairfax, Virginia
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our party of 11 visitors to NOLA absolutely loved everything about this place. Food was excellent as was the service and the ambience.

Visited November 2012
Corrales, NM
“Fine dining at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I can't say enough about the food and the service, even the ambiance. There were five of us and everyone had a different dish, including desserts. We of course all tasted everything. The combination of all the flavors, textures and presentations was wonderful. Wine list is extensive. Ronan, our captain, oversaw amazing service that did not miss a beat. Yes, it is expensive, but we thought it definately worth it.

• Visited November 2012
Whittier
“Very nice meal, but bring your wallet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I are native New Orleanians, although we haven't lived there since the early 90's. We’d heard great things about August, so we were eager to eat there on our last visit to our home town. The food was good, although not great. And it is expensive. I ordered the Trout Pontchatrain, which the waiter said is one of their signature dishes. The fish was delicious, but the Hollandaise sauce was over salted. It was so salty that I almost sent it back. My wife had a gnocchi dish that, likewise, was good but not great. We were impressed with the wine selection. We had a lovely Marsanne from the Rhone Valley and it was reasonably priced for the quality of the wine. Desert, however, was a bit of a letdown. One other thing: The service was impeccable.

All in all I would compare August to Emeril’s. Both are very good, but neither rises to the greatness of LeRuth’s, the incomparable New Orleans restaurant of bygone days.

• Visited June 2012
charlstonsc
“to each his own”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

friends of ours went to new orleans prior to our visit and very much enjoyed this restaurant. on their recommendation, and the respect my beau has for mr. besh, we made reservations 2 months in advance. we were seated promptly at 8:30 and ordered drinks. the room was lovely, when you looked up all you could see was wine, like a library in a grand old home, only with bottles instead of books. (our kind of place!!). the tables for 2 were spaced decently and the lighting was muted nicely. the captain/head waiter is/was my problem. he was very....rough. like a bull in a china shop......what wine do you want???...what is your order now!!....how is everything???!! (but in a way i am having difficulty explaining)...for me, just not what i expected from this type of establishment. too brusque. i don't like being barked at. i thought the gnocchi was no better than what i can do, the soft shell crab, while fresh, was nothing special. he liked his foie gras 3 way just fine and trout much more. was it just me? we both felt that the service from the captain on down was not what we expected from here...like we had to thank THEM for serving US....capito?? i realize what i sound like on this review, but it really was a disappointment for both of us.

• Visited October 2012