“fabulous experience”
Review of Restaurant August

Restaurant August
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant August is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,954 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Gravier
Description: The cuisine at August is contemporary French with a focus on local ingredients, inspired by Chef John Besh's classical training here and in Europe, and by the depth of his own Southern Louisiana roots. August is located in an historic 19th century French-Creole building in New Orleans' Central Business District. August was a semifinalist for the 2012 and 2013 James Beard Awards Outstanding Restaurant, and has been selected by Gayot as a top 40 Restaurant in the United States. The Times Picayune has named it as one of their top 10 Restaurants the last two years in a row.
Vancouver, Canada
“fabulous experience”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We ate at GW Fins, Commanders Palace and August and loved all three but August was very special mainly because of the unique menu items and preparation. French Cusinine with just a small NOLA flair .Very fresh and tasted great, wine list was long and good. Service was first class.

• Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
“Very small yet pricey portions”
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Great atmosphere but the portions are so so small. Overpriced... Had an old fashioned here . It was super strong and $22 !!!
Dessert was left on the plate...
Overall disappointing.

new orleans
“Definite improvement”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

When first opened August was the best restaurant in the city. a lot has changed in New Orleans since then, And Chef Besh had numerous other projects going that I think he let August slide a bit. We decided to give it a try for lunch and was very happily surprised that the quality and the polish we remember was in full force once again. Whether this is due to the competition of R'evolution Restaurant in the French Quarter or not, August's kitchen and staff went out of their way to make the meal outstanding. They have a 3 course lunch menu for $12.12 with a nice selections of their signature dishes and a ala carte menu as well. The Gnocchi with truffle and Parmesan was very good but they are not using the original cream sauce for some reason. Another good pasta was the fusilli and Unami. The fried soft shell crab was excellent as well as the "bbq'd" poussin over a corn and frisée salad. A really good selection of wines by the glass. I was surprised by the number of tourists and conventioneers in the dining room instead of a lot of local business people but August is just a few blocks from the convention center. I would absolutely go back. August is back on my list!

las vegas
“Great N'awlins Experience”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I know youre saying, then why not 5 stars? Thought about it, everything was so well done from food to drink to servers who were not only good, they were interesting and not mechanical.

We enjoyed everything and highly recommend it. No its not traditional in terms of what people think of for this region but my only concern was good and it was very good. Fresh, unique and stylized, the only "concern" was it was even a little pricey than it needed to be. Very much a SoHO (NY) style restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
Canada
“Had a good meal, but not going back :(”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've struggled with what I can say about this restaurant. Mostly the food was from good to great, with the fish special being the best. Mr. Besh came out and talked to us and was very kind and pleased to chat with us. I think I prefer the more traditional New Orleans restaurants with the Brennan family or Susan Spicer or even Emeril because the food is a bit more decadent vs. delicate. August is definitely delicate and after having eaten at Commanders and Bayona this weekend, I was just feeling a little hungover from all the butter and fat. The fois gras three ways was pushed by the waiter, but I thought it bland. The sweetbreads were not traditional, but quite good and the trout was fantastic. Dessert was left on the plate. It was tasty but not stellar.

Unfortunately, after we paid the bill and were finishing our coffee, we were compelled to flee the scene as a good sized palmetto made its way accross the wall next to us. AS we were seated by the door, I suspect that he just walked right in off the sidewalk and that the restaurant (kitchen is upstairs) was well away from the crime scene but it's going to be the only thing we remember about our visit for years to come. I don't think there is anything August can do about that. We alerted them and they squashed the thing, but I think they should have chased us out the door to apologize or to just say something about the incident and I probably would not have mentioned it here, but we stood right outside for at least 2 or 3 minutes waiting for the rest of our group and no one came out to apologize. The waiter was very cute with my partner and said "Welcome to New Orleans" which was funny and timely and he really did do his best to discreetely remove it. What a shame it happened! It completely overwhelms my memory of the quality of the food which I believe would have been more positive without that experience.