“Not the Best Parade Package on the Parade Route”
Review of Michaul's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Michaul's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Arts District / Warehouse District
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We reserved Michaul's parade package for the Endymion parade on Saturday Feb 13 and I was very disappointed given how much the package costs. We enjoyed the buffet that was served and the drinks from the bar were good and not watered down. However, the grandstand viewing for the parade left a lot to be desired. There are a ton of people crammed onto 2 staggered grandstand platforms. The lower platform could accomodate 3 rows of people and the top could accomodate several rows of people. But since the platforms are flat, unless you are at the very front of your respective platform or very tall, you cannot see the floats much less catch any throws. We arrived as soon as we could be admitted for our package and did not linger inside eating and drinking but the grandstands were pretty much full by the time we got out to them. We asked people around us how long they had been out on the grandstands to get good viewing spots and found out that most of the good spots were occupied by those who had purchased the all-day package so those people had been there all day. Also, once you managed to find a spot to stand in, you had to fight to get it back if you went back inside for a drink. Yes, they offer an open bar until the parade ends but what good is it if you can't get back inside to take advantage of it.

We typically watch the parades from the Garden District area but decided this year to make the effort to go see the Endymion parade and try something different with the package at Michauls. I regret that decision as we felt the parade package was an incredible waste of money given the grandstand arrangement and I would definitely not recommend it if your goal is to see the parade and catch throws.

6  Thank Aimers_8

Reviewed February 13, 2010

We went to Michaul's (at great expense) at the suggestion of our Hotel, as a place to watch Mardi Gras and have dinner. What started as a good spirited evening turned into great upset. When we attempted to get some help seating a disabled family member, the owner of the restaurant began yelling at several customers and called my wife and the woman next to her [--] threatening to throw people out!! While the manager later came to us and attempted to apologize for her repeated outbursts and ultimately treated us well; My wife and I would never go back to Michaul's. If "reputation is everything," I hope that the owner of this restaurant will look at herself. This is no way treat people! I hope others will reward restaurateurs that treat people with dignity.

8  Thank c3phd
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I have been to the restaurant before & after the hurricane. Before Septmeber 2005, this restaurant was open to the public & the food was very good & the prices were comparable to other eating establishments in the city. I never found anything overpriced. After the storm, this restaurant was only open for private parties & Mardi Gras. I have been to a number of private parties since it's reopening & have found the food & service excellent. It is definitely a sample of the Southern Hospitality that New Orleans is famous for. I would DEFINITELY recommend this to anyone who is considering a private, catered party or a safe place to go for Mardi Gras.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

Over the past 15 years, I have passed many a good time at Michaul's. Other than the obvious Mardi Gras parties, I had my wedding rehearsal dinner there. My husband's family came into town from Kansas City, Minnesota and New York. We had the best time together. None of them had experienced anything like Michaul's. After a wonderful dinner, Boo and I (and the Michaul's krewe) taught the visiting family and friends about Cajun music and dancing. No one will ever forget it. I always feel welcome at Michaul's.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

I have been to Michaul's at least 5 times, the food and atmosphere is great!! The friendliness of the staff excellent, the music great. I reat this excelletn in all areas.