“Decent parade views, average meal, incredible disorganization”
Review of Michaul's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Michaul's
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Arts District / Warehouse District
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Kootenays, BC, Canada
“Decent parade views, average meal, incredible disorganization”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We began booking our Mardi Gras night several months prior to our arrival in New Orleans. I checked Michaul's website, and would not book through the site: no site security at all. (Hint: Look for https:// when you're on the web & want a secure site! Michaul's has nothing resembling security!). So I phoned. And phoned. And phoned. And emailed. Again & again! FINALLY someone got in touch (took about 3 weeks of prodding on my part!). The arrangement was, pay half when I booked & the other half 2 weeks prior to the event. This is also what the website indicated.

Imagine our surprise to have them start hounding us for final payment a month before Mardi Gras! I explained that we would be more than happy to follow the instructions on the website & complete our payment 2 weeks before. Not good enough.... they wanted the money now. So, fearing that they would drop our reservations, we paid the balance much earlier than their original instructions indicated. It was like pulling teeth to get a response from them unless they felt you owed them money! Then - bam! There they are, almost daily, leaving messages on my cellphone!

The actual night of our parade-booking, we arrived to find that, thankfully, they did have our reservation as they never did confirm it. (Yes, I asked multiple times, but wound up relying on my credit card statement as confirmation). We were shown to a table that needed folded napkins underneath to steady it. The food was edible, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Open bar, which for people who don't drink much, isn't much of an incentive but nice to have.

I admit to being disappointed. Mardi Gras was a "bucket list" thing for my husband & I, along with our friends. It was a wrestling match, dealing with Michaul's. Not to mention, I found it expensive for what we got. The "grandstand" was simply a big rather rickety-looking scaffolding holding far too many people for its size. I had also expected a somewhat larger buffet, considering the event & the price we paid. As I said, the food was fine, but nothing spectacular.

We have no plans to return to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, and if we did, we'd look elsewhere for a viewing venue! This restaurant is about the most difficult business I've ever dealt with in my life.

• Visited February 2013

Orange, California
“!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Food was authentic and great, the breading pudding is fantastic.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Jcarraway
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Worst Place to Watch a Mardi Gras Parade”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We went to watch parades and felt very unsafe. The grandstands must have had 300 people. When we asked about the crowds the owner yelled at us and told us the place was busy and that we should expect crowds, it’s Mardi Gras. The food was barely eatable. They must not plan to cook for big crowds very often. The bar served drinks, but none of them seemed very strong.
I would say my biggest complaint was the amount of people in the grandstands. It felt very unsafe. These are just metal stands with hundreds of people on them. It would be different if there were not that many people up there… I might be able to handle the low class food and the watered down drinks (and limited selection). I just want to warn any first time visitors to rethink spending all that money for this experience. I am looking for a new place to watch Mardi Gras parades if anyone has a suggestion.

5 Thank Louisiana2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Best way to see Mardi Gras!”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Our first trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras can be summed up with "Thank you Michaul's!" We travel often to New Orleans but this year was our first Mardi Gras. With 6 people to plan for, Michaul's proved to be the best deal. Initially we thought the price was a bit high, but we've been on the streets for other New Orleans parades and knew Mardi Gras ones would be bigger and more crowded. Having a designated space above street level put us at eye level with float participants and more beads than you can imagine. All day access to food, drink, clean bathrooms, music and a designated table for our group was worth the price. You can't get that standing on the street. We had an easy, enjoyable, entertaining Mardi Gras. Michaul's provided friendly service and a family atmosphere. This is a highly recommended way to be part of Mardi Gras! Even locals we watched the parades with said it was a good deal and they always choose Michaul's.

1 Thank weekendtime
Richmond, VA
“Great time for Mardi Gras!!”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We are frequent visitors to New Orleans and this was our first Mardi Gras-we had a group of 6 adults in the 40 to 50 something range.
We enjoyed the food, the location and the other attendees at Michaul's. It's a very easy way to do Mardi Gras!!!
I thought the hospitality was great, the folks there were very friendly.
The cost was a little high, for everything, but all in all well worth the experience and the memories.
We will definately come back!!