“Superb dining in New Orleans”

Upperline Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Upperline Restaurant is New Orleans, LA's local haven where tasty Louisiana cuisine, serious wine, and Creole hospitality is always served.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I dined recently at Upperline. it was an outstanding experience. We were greeted warmly by the owner, who subsequently introduced us to the chef. The menu is very creative, and the chef is highly talented. This restaurant is located in the Garden district of New Orleans, and is very attractively decorated with paintings by local artists. The wine list is complete and very affordable. It was a most enjoyable and memorable evening, and truly one of the best restaurants that we have visited.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Upperline came highly recommended by a former local. My husband and I spent four days in New Orleans and Upperline was our favorite meal and dining experience. While we did visit our share of famous restaurants, Upperline really made our trip by embodying the spirit of New Orleans hopitality with cuisine that could rival the best restaurants across the country. We started out with Planter's Punch and a Ginger Pimm's Cup. Joanne, the lovely owner, graciously helped us with menu recommendations. I enjoyed the Taste of New Orleans sampling menu, and my husband had the oysters appetizer and the redfish. The oysters were just incredible, fried and served atop a magical concoction of cooked parsley, paprika and lemon zest. It was the best cooked oyster dish either one of us have ever had, anywhere in the world.
The ambience and local art is just wonderful in the restauarant. It is charming, cultured and welcoming. Joanne has hit just the right note combining "something special" and "no fuss". So, just stop fussing over all of these reviews and make your reservation at Upperline! You'll be so glad you did.

2  Thank AnnaCG
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We first ate at Upperline 15 years ago on our first trip to New Orleans and several years later we moved to Baton Rouge so we wouldn't have to travel from Calif. to eat there! It's that good! The shrimp that comes fresh from the Gulf is tender and juicy. I always order whatever the shrimp dish that night. The ambience is delightful and Joanne Clevenger, the owner and hostess, makes you feel right at home. You will love her art collection. We no longer live in La. so now we once again have to travel to get to Upperline, but Joanne always remembers us. Amazing! And did I mention the desserts. It's the only restaurant I know of that makes a pecan pie as good or maybe even better than mine. The creme brûlée is also not to be missed. We always order one of each and share.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

From photographs I'd seen, I expected a funky, artsy kind of place. When we were seated, I found myself in an intimate, romantic alcove. It was just a lovely, unexpected start.

The menu is simplistic and ingenious at the same time. You get two choices: Either a seven item sampler type menu, or a three course dinner. If you're new to southern foods, I image the seven item sampler would be the way to get a great overview. For me, however, gumbo, turtle soup and etouffee have already been checked off my list (several times over), so I chose the three course dinner. I selected the fried green tomato with shrimp remoulade, the filet mignon with bernaise sauce, and the honey pecan bread pudding with toffee sauce. The first two courses were absolutely delicious, with the dessert being average.

The waitress was friendly, attentive and efficient. The owner stopped by during the meal to introduce herself and make certain we were enjoying the food. We also had an opportunity to chat with her briefly after the meal. She is an endearing woman who seems to have a passion for good food, people and life in general. We will definitely return to Upperline.

1  Thank Janice A
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I hadn't been here since I went to Tulane 20 years ago. The décor is as interesting and elegant as always. The food was better than I remember. They were able to fit in our last minute reservation and we had an excellent time.