“Character and great food”

Upperline Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 1,978 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Description: Upperline Restaurant is New Orleans, LA's local haven where tasty Louisiana cuisine, serious wine, and Creole hospitality is always served.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Locally owned with the owner/chef still working there. Away from the French Quarter, but easy to get to. The food was very good. Make you reservations early

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I both felt that this was the best meal we have eaten. Ever. And we have been to some great "food cities" in this world. Left nothing to be desired...
Steak, gumbo, turtle soup, fried green tomatoes, duck...I can't imagine anything coming out of that kitchen and not being perfect.
Service was outstanding. We shared our feelings with the server and the chef and owner both made a stop at our table to acknowledge this.
All in all a wonderful establishment that I will make a point to return to some day.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We ate at Bayona. We ate at R'Evolution. But seriously, folks, the best dinner we had in NOLA was at JoAnn Clevenger's Upperline! Start with the idea of a $40 prix fixe, 3-course dinner. Add in a fantastic chef (Dave Bridges) and the incomparable owner, who made the time to talk with us about the place, its history, the food, the deeply sourced ingredients. Add a gorgeous building and interior full of vibrant paintings. But above all, the food. I had the Gulf Fish Meuniere, this time a black drum, for my entree, snapping fresh, delicately crisp and lemony. But the appetizer, fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade, seriously so freaking wonderful I can't stop exclaiming. Thank you, JoAnn and Dave. We will return at Jazz Fest. How about a Thomas Jefferson dinner then?

1  Thank VirginiaSwift
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow. I have lived in NOLA for two years and hadn't visited this magnificent restaurant. My meal tonight was one of the best yet! Can not wait to go back. The menu was fantastic, the presentation was second to none. The only thing better then then the food was the service. You must try this place!!!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Yes, it's a bit off the beaten path. But if you are feeling like getting out of the Quarter, the food and bohemian atmosphere are worth the trip. This place feels like the kind of place Ernest Hemingway would have loved. Unpretentious but imaginative dishes like fried oysters with an awesome hot and spicy relish
-like sauce and local fish served in a hot pepper gravy. Good drinks. Friendly service. And a lovely neighborhood worth a short cab ride.