“Still Salivating”

Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Girod Street
Transit: streetcar stop at St. Charles & Girod
Reviewed July 10, 2014

It's a tough act to follow when the night before you have had a truly titillating adventure for your olfactory and taste senses. Some might say we played it safe by sticking to Donald Link's restaurant group. I say we had heightened expectations, and they were met by our meal at Herbsaint. Though the decor was a bit Spartan, the service and food more than distracted us from looking around at what was covering the walls. Although I expect it at a service oriented place like a restaurant, the staff doesn't always know their menu or have an opinion in many cases. At Herbsaint, it's just the opposite - our waiter was well-versed with regard to the wine and menu. He was able to steer each of us towards items that we would enjoy based on conversations with us throughout various stages of the meal. Our group of 6 was unanimously impressed from appetizer to dessert. One of the mouth-watering heavy hitters was the muscovy duck leg confit with dirty rice and citrus gastrique. Not only was the presentation beautiful, the flavor was incredible. I didn't say it was healthy, but I was on vacation, and the only thing I regret is not licking the plate!

1  Thank Meaghan M

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Easy access right on St. Charles Trolley Line and across from Lafayette Hotel. Nice experience to see the trolley cars passing on the street. Lively atmosphere. Indoor restaurant and sidewalk cafe. Pricey but interesting. Great service.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stopped in for lunch on a Tuesday, the final full day I have in New Orleans before the end of this visit. I had a bowl of gumbo, and a small plate which was an addition to the menu: soft shell crab over creamed corn with pickled cucumber. Everything was amazing. This was a memorable lunch, and truly spoke to the excellence of this restaurant. Everything gets high marks: reception, service, food, presentation, and atmosphere. I sat at the bar because I was by myself, and had a pleasant conversation with the barkeep.

I highly recommend visiting Herbsaint when in New Orleans.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Here an early dinner here on a Monday with business colleagues. Service was prompt, but the seating area right next to the kitchen service made it feel no quite as upscale. Food was excellent, had the gumbo of the day, the grilled chicken with mash, dirty rice, and the molten chocolate cake-all very good. Everyone else was very pleased with their selections as well. With some many great options to choose from in New Orleans, I will probably try a different one next time, but would eventually come here again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Four of us attended for a week-day lunch in April. Two ordered entrees, the other two ordered two small plates each. The cocktails we ordered were great, as was all of the food. Coffee and dessert were wonderful as well! The service was very attentive without being overbearing. The restaurant was full for lunch, so I'd recommend reservations. We were dressed casual, and I felt a little under-dressed in jeans.
Our lunch bill for four was about $200 after tip, but we did each have a couple cocktails, and we had 3 or 4 desserts for the table.