“Good but not relaxing”

Cross street: Tchoupitoulas
Hammond, Louisiana
“Good but not relaxing”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

After driving through the area, we were looking for a quiet, restful place to eat. Someone had recommended Zoe's. The food was good but the place is one where the order is placed at a counter then delivered to the table. It was quite noisy too. It's ok for a quick lunch but there are other choices nearby for a quiet, relaxing meal.

Visited November 2012

Burnsville, Minnesota
“Meh”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I ate there one evening quite late, and was in fact the only diner, which is rarely a good sign for a restaurant. Given that I was staying in the hotel it was convenience as opposed to a belief that they would have good food.

Especially considering that I was the only guest eating, service was lackluster. I could hear the server chatting to someone in the back, and literally had to go looking for her to pay the check. She never once checked on me and literally did the minimum she could get away with. Although she was perfectly nice when she did speak.

The bread they served did not taste like it was baked on the premises. I then had some redfish with succotash and fries. It was fairly good, but as with anything in this hotel excessively priced. Just the entree and a beer was over $30 before tip. And in a town like New Orleans I can't imagine that something better could not be had for that kind of money.

The same restaurant serves the hotel breakfast, which is again excessively expensive. I ordered some kind of alligator sausage skillet. I asked for poached eggs and no peppers. The meal came with fried eggs and peppers. And when a breakfast is running at over $20 they should at least get the order right. The food was very good, but again it should be for the price, but was of course let down by not being exactly what I ordered.

I think with slightly lower prices and a bit more attention to detail and service they might do a lot better.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank ZCT808
Georgia
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Very cool and quiet place inside the W. Our group of 7 shared several small plates: Crab Mac-n-Cheese, wings, crab cakes, crawfish quesadilla. All were divine. I had the shrimp iceberg salad, as well. So good!

New York City, New York
“Redfish tacos”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Great place with excellent food. Highly recommend the redfish tacos and grit cakes.

Visited April 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Underwhelmed by the restaurant, but have to give the wait staff props!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I just had lunch at Zoe in the W Hotel and I've got to say, I was quite a bit underwhelmed. In my profession as an innkeeper for a small New Orleans bed & breakfast, I've had guests comment about their dining experiences at Zoe. When a colleague of mine suggested that a group of us have lunch there as we were all scheduled to attend a seminar at the W that afternoon, I jumped at the chance.

I arrived at 11:40 am and the restaurant was completely empty. I thought perhaps it was closed. I asked a waiter who seemed a bit lost if they were open and he assured me it was. I told him that we had a group of about 8 that were coming for lunch. He summoned another server and they quickly put together some tables for us. I asked one of the servers if they had any drink specials and she responded that no, they didn't even have a bartender, but she would be happy to make me a drink. Not wanting to pay full hotel-bar price on a cocktail, I declined. She added that they used to have 33-cent martinis but the stopped offering them because people would come for the martinis but not buy any food. Odd. You'd think that management would have hinged the special on the purchase of an entree. Anyway, no drink and I waited a bit and my friends finally arrived.

During our whole time there (over an hour), only one other table was seated, a single diner who came in shortly after us. Most of our food arrived together, but two of our diners received their meals about 10 minutes later. One of those diners arrived late, so I could have understood had it been only his entree that arrived late, but the other entree was for someone who ordered with the rest of us. The server did apologize that they were not coming out together, but rather as they were coming off the line. I appreciate that they didn't let the rest of our food sit getting cold just so we could all be served together.

The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. Three of us had the corn and crab bisque, while although tasty was also a bit crunchy. I had fish tacos which were peppery hot and a little on fhe fishy side, but I ate all of it so I guess it wasn't too bad. Others had grilled shrimp salad, crab cakes, and the redfish poboy. No body oohed or aahed over their meals. Just basic standard fare that you could have gotten off a food truck really. We did get an extra order of the tacos because the kitchen made a mistake and the rest of the table shared them. I guess that's why the second entree was so late.

I would have to say that while the wait staff was not as polished as you would expect from a restaurant of this caliber, they were very friendly, courteous and eager to please. The head server didn't even bat an eye when we asked her if separate checks was possible. However, I'm not sure if there was a manager on duty because we only saw the 3 or 4 servers on duty plus one kitchen employee who came out to the unmanned bar to retrieve some amaretto from a mobile cabinet behind the bar.

I think this could be a really fun and exciting place if perhaps there was a management team in place to promote specials, train the staff and oversee the kitchen. Zoe has great potential, but it needs some guidance.

• Visited May 2012