“Best Shrimp and Grits in the Quarter”

Muriel's Jackson Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Muriel's Jackson Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: St. Ann
Description: The Bistro at Muriel’s Jackson Square offers New Orleans classics like Gumbo, BBQ Shrimp, Oysters "Muriel", Turtle soup, Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-boy, Crabmeat Imperial, Shrimp Remoulade & contemporary Creole cuisine like Pecan Crusted Drum & Wood Grilled Tuna while the Courtyard Bar is the perfect place to drop by for drinks & appetizers. The Séance Lounge is the place for a relaxed, comfortable meeting before or after dining. Comprised of two areas, The Outer & The Inner Séance, the Séance also tells the story of a mystic & checkered past. The Outer Séance addresses the New Orleans era of Storyville & when Muriel's Jackson Square was one of the French Quarter's best bordellos! The Inner Séance is the preferred domain of the resident ghost, Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan, & is the perfect spot for an intimate conversation & a drink amongst its plush surroundings.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Have been to New Orleans many times and always try the "new" and "eclectic" restaurants. A friend urged us to go to Jazz Brunch on Sunday at Muriel's, and we relented expected a tourist trap. What a surprise. I ordered the Barbecue Shrimp with grits and was totally blown away. I was presented with six tender, succulent, enormous, flavorful shrimp of which likes I've never tasted before. And the grits were rich and creamy and a perfect complement to the tart barbecue sauce. Absolute perfection. The jazz trio was also amazing; as was our server, Lorie. A+++

2  Thank sciwri

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Best Shrimp EVER! I was here in October and we had a big party of 15 so they put us at two tables, which was not ideal but it worked. The fresh bread was amazing and they had good cocktails. I ordered the grilled shrimp and grits and it was to die for! I also had the crab cake thing for an appetizer and that was very good too. My boyfriend had the chicken and he enjoyed it. I think between our whole party we tried just about everything on the menu and everyone was very impressed with their food! You must eat here on your next trip to NOLA!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Be sure to go early and have a drink on the balconey. It was an excellant place to eat. You have to book in advance in order to get a reservation at a good time.

1  Thank LindaofKC
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were 4 couples visiting New Orleans over this past weekend after attending a Naval Reunion in Baton Rouge. We were not disappointed in selecting Muriel's as our one nice dinner out together. Several of us ordered from the prix fix menu ($37.00). Shrimp and Goat Cheese crepe for appetizer was yummy, double pork chops, served with sweet pototato and collards was fab. Creme Brulee and Breadpudding excellent desserts. Others who ordered from reg menu were happy as well. Shrimp, lambchops were all excellent. Atmosphere is old world and just lovely. Wait staff extremely friendly and helpful. We tried Muriel's own Cabernet Savignon $11 a glass-- quite good. Seance room/bar upstairs was closed for a wedding (which we actually saw take place in Jackson Square)--otherwise we would have visited. Don't hesitate to choose Muriel's even though Zagat's only gave it a 23.

1  Thank Joyce1948
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were attending a medical conference and stumbled upon this gem by accident on a visit to Jackson square. It was one of the best meals we have had whilst on our travels world over. What impressed me most was the freshness of ingredients, and in my view you can tell the attention the kitchen pays to details by how warm the soup arrives and its harmony with the service. The server was very attentive right from the time we sat down and also took the time to point out areas to not miss when we tour. At one point, I had to take a call and stepped up and away from the table to take the call. By the time, I returned my napkin on the table was folded to the original position it was in when I first sat down!

1  Thank jlr2012_12