“Gumbo Shop?”

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #91 of 1,947 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
New York City, New York
“Gumbo Shop?”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We went here for the Gumbo, sadly we were disappointed, we had better elsewhere. On a good note their Po-Boy's were some of the better ones we had on our trip to NOLA. Joshua, our server, made our lunch more enjoyable, he was charismatic.

• Visited February 2014
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Nothing beats a hot, fresh po-boy! Still, I wish that you were more impressed with our gumbo. I'd like to know more about that, so let me know if anything stood out to you. Til then, thanks for the great review, and for your kind words about Joshua. We hope you'll give our gumbo another chance during your next trip to New Orleans—I know we have what it takes to wow you!

Take care,

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Place is average”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Husband was looking for some authentic Jambalaya, and the place looked the part. I ordered the seafood gumbo. His jambalaya came served in two two scoops of rice, which was dry at best and flavorless. My seafood gumbo was ok; it had shrimp and one tiny crab claw which was there more for decoration than for food value. Prices were reasonable, that is the good part. I would find someplace better next time around.

Visited February 2014
Sounds like we missed the mark here, Karen. I'm sorry to hear that, especially since you and your husband were looking forward to having a great taste of New Orleans. This is disappointing, but I can assure you that what you've experienced isn't reflective of our quality or passion, so I know we can do better. I hope you'll give us a shot during your next trip, but until then, thanks for your honesty. It'll only make us better!

New Jersey
“Just Ok”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Gumbo Shop was my first dining experience in New Orleans over 21 years ago. I had very fond memories of having the gumbo, crawfish etouffee, and bread pudding. After three other trips to New Orleans, I decided to bring my family to the city for their first time. What better way to start the vacation than a hot cup of gumbo on a cold winter's night.

Well, the gumbo was fine. But the crawfish etouffee was tasteless, and the bread pudding too sweet. The pasta with crawfish was good. The rum apple cider special was anything but special. Too bad. Perhaps I should have left those good memories alone.

• Visited February 2014
Mediocrity isn't good enough for us, either—we want every bite to wow you! It's a shame that we fell short of that standard, especially since you have such fond memories of us and were looking forward to making more. While this is upsetting, I know that we can do better. I'm going to let our team know about your experience in hopes of making this right for your next trip to New Orleans, but I wish we could have resolved this during your stay. Still, I appreciate your feedback, and I hope you'll give us another chance next time you're in town. Until then, don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to discuss this further—I want to make this right.

East Bay, California
“Safe choice in the heart of over-priced French Quarter”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Finding good food at a reasonable price in NOLA's French Quarter can be like finding a $10 bill in your washed jeans pocket! This place is a safe bet, if you want to sit down for a casual lunch or snack. The prices are reasonable for the heart of the tourist district. Atmosphere is casual, and the staff are friendly, courteous and efficient, if not inspired. We found the gumbo and jambalaya to be pretty decent, not fantastic. The wall murals are cool, but don't come here for a romantic or intimate dinner.

1 Thank soldearly
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Although I'm glad you were so pleased with our pricing, I wish you'd be more impressed with our dishes. We want all of them to wow you, so I'm sorry we fell short with your gumbo and jambalaya. If you have any specific feedback about what you didn't enjoy, I'd love to hear it so I can make sure we're on the right track. Until then, thanks for letting me know about this!

Hope to have you back soon,
Oksboel, Denmark
“Delicious Creol Dinner”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have read some good things about this Restaurant,
and we didn´t became disappointed.
We got at delicious creol Dinner
You must expect waiting-time at the Entrance.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank LN1946
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
So glad you enjoyed our take on these delicious Creole dishes, Lars! We can't wait to welcome you back during your next trip to New Orleans.

Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Been to Gumbo Shop? Share your experiences!