“The BEST Gumbo and Canjun Food in the French Quarter!”
Review of Gumbo Shop

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #92 of 1,979 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here on nearly trip I've made to NOLA and would highly recommend it!

Hands down, the BEST gumbo I've had!

Great jambalaya and roast beef po'boys, too.

Friendly staff. Conveniently located between Bourbon Street and Jackson Square. A MUST for visitors, plus plenty of local patrons.

You'll be glad you stopped in!

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

The best gumbo you've ever had? We're flattered! Thanks so much for the shout out, and please join us for another bowl next time you're in town!

Thanks again,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great gumbo - generous portion and comes with fresh baked bread. A NOLA landmark, cool old building. Still reasonably priced. (Jambalaya - not so hot - a little dry.) They have great cookbooks for sale in local bookstores. Courtyard seating with heaters for November. Lines to get in, so lunch is a good option. Worth the wait, even if you have to wait in line.

Glad we were worth the wait! While it sounds like you really enjoyed your visit, I'm sorry that our Jambalaya was a bit dry for your liking. I'll talk to our team about that, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. Hopefully we can show you a five-star meal next time you're in town!

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place for lunch and as usual I checked the reviews. This place got decent reviews and we were not disappointed. As expected it was busy, crowded and noisy but that is to be expected in the French Quarter

Service was a bit slow but the waiter did a good job and was friendly and helpful. Typical southern food, well done and generous portions at reasonable prices. I would go back for lunch again.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

We'd love to have you back for more, Doug! Until then, thanks so much for the kind words. Be sure to give our Bread Pudding a try next time you're in town!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were a group of seven and we all had something different. Everything was wonderful. The andouille sausage appetizer was fabulous! Great gumbo, wonderful blackened redfish, amazing pasta! This was our second dinner here and both times it was a fun and delicious experience. We bought their cookbook and the recipes taste just like being there. If you want some great NO cooking and not break the bank I heartily recommend the gumbo shop!

Hearty, spicy, and full of New Orleans soul—that's gumbo for ya! Thanks for making us a part of your trip, Jerry. We can't wait to have you back next time you're in town!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were on a mission to get beignets from Cafe Du Monde but got hungry on the way. We decided to stop here to eat and had a good meal. The food was good...I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was good. I probably wouldn't eat here again not because I didn't enjoy my experience, but because there are so many other great places to try.

There are plenty of fabulous restaurants here in the French Quarter, and we've always been so grateful to be counted among them. That's why I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit, Kisha. However, I'd like to know more about this so we can make sure we're on the right track. What did you order? If you have any further feedback, let us know!