“Yum!”

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #92 of 1,955 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Chicago, Ilinois
“Yum!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We finally asked a local where to go for lunch and he suggested the Gumbo Shop. The crawfish etouffee is so good. I crave it to this day. My husband had the beans and sausage, which he seemed to like. I also had the blackened fish po-boy. That was very good also. The bread pudding with whiskey sauce was a perfect finish. The atmosphere was nice and the service was very good. I loved it!

• Visited October 2012
Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We know the feeling — we get daily cravings for our crawfish etouffee, too! Thanks for stopping by, Jen. We'd love to welcome you and your husband back soon!

Best,

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas, United States
“If you love gumbo, you'll love the Gumbo Shop!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a small place & you will likely have to wait, but the food is delicious & the prices aren't crazy.

Visited December 2011
Glad that we were worth the wait! Thanks for the kind words, Clint.

Regards,
Bentonville, Arkansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cajun/Creole Cuisine at its best”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

On my third visit to this superb eating establishment I was as impressed as on my first visit. The atmosphere is as New Orleans as it can get. The service is surpassed by none and the food is better than any I have ever had. I make it a point to dine there at least one time, if not more often, any time I am in the "Big Easy". This is a must stop if you really want authentic cajun/creole cuisine.

• Visited October 2012
Wow. Jim! It's great to hear that our menu had you coming back for more! Thanks for making us such a big part of your recent trip, and for taking the time to share your story with fellow travelers. We'd love to welcome you back next time you find yourself in the Big Easy!

Cheers,
Ambler, Pennsylvania
“Nice atmosphere, average food & service”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited for dinner on a recent New Orleans trip based on reviews. The restaurant itself & the atmosphere was very nice. Service was average - waitress seemed distracted & not particularly attentive. To give her the benefit of the doubt, it was quite busy. The food was just average too - had the chicken andouille gumbo which was tasty but not very filling because it was mostly broth. Would love to try again on my next trip - maybe just a bad night.

• Visited October 2012
While we appreciate you giving our server the benefit of the doubt, there is no excuse for the sub-par service you received. I apologize for that, and I am also disheartened to learn that your meal left a similar impression. Although it is disappointing that you did not leave us with better memories, we are very grateful that you've taken the time to voice your concerns. They will definitely be of aid as we continue to improve for our guests. Thank you for your candor. We hope you will give us another opportunity to put our best food forward in the future.

Best,
Denver, CO
“Great experience!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were in New Orleans last week and had dinner one night at the Gumbo Shop. We had heard that it was a bit touristy by the locals but we ended up walking right by it during the day and saw that they had a 3 course menu for dinner that was reasonably priced and it looked good and we thought we should give it a try.

We had to wait for our table a bit but we finally were seated halfway in half way outside. The place was very busy and the tables are closed together but it was remarkably quiet compare to the Red Fish Grill which we tried the night before (see my other review).

I had the etouffee and loved it! I had a salad to start with and the bread pudding for dessert. I enjoyed every bit of my meal. My husband had the gumbo soup with okra, the plate with red rice and beans, jambalaya and cajun shrimps and for dessert ice cream with pralines.

The service was good and prompt. We definitely enjoyed our experience and would return. They had other items on their menu that we would love to try.

• Visited October 2012
Our three-course dinner is a fabulous way to sample all of the flavors that made our city famous. Thanks for giving it a try, and for singing our praises. You've left some wonderful comments for future travelers! We hope you enjoyed your time in New Orleans, and we'd love to have you back next time you're in town.

Cheers,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Been to Gumbo Shop? Share your experiences!