“Excellent food and service”
Review of Cafe Degas

Cafe Degas
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Degas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #206 of 1,947 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighborhood: Fairgrounds
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

A regular haunt of ours. Although crazy busy the first Sunday of Lent for lunch, the staff coped well and the food was excellent. I had the mussels and fries followed by the grilled tuna fish salad nicoise. The wife had escargots and the crabmeat crepe, loaded with crab!

• Visited March 2014

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“A wonderful place for Sunday brunch”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We became a fan of Cafe Degas during Jazz Fest last year, and during a recent visit to New Orleans, we came back for brunch. We can heartily recommend brunch as well as dinner here. As other reviewers noted, the dining room is semi-open and conveys a sense of serenity with a small park across the street and a tree growing right in the middle of the restaurant. Even though it's located on Esplanade Avenue, the neighborhood is fairly quiet, and car traffic is not heavy. Once again, the food impressed us, with a wonderful crabmeat quiche special, eggs benedict, a huge l'omlette aux crevettes with shrimp, bacon and wild mushrooms (which can be made with whole eggs or egg whites, we opted for the latter), and veal grillades with grits. Of our entrees, I would have to say the omlette was the most impressive. Just keeping an egg white omlette together given the size and amount of the filling was somewhat impressive. Nice friendly service, good food, and a relaxing atmosphere make this a restaurant we will return to trip after trip.

• Visited March 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Classy”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Met a friend here for lunch. He lives in the neighborhood and is a regular so he steered us to everything fabulous. Sorry I can't remember specifics, we were in NO for 8 days and all the good food we ate is like a dream you can't quite remember but you smile just thinking about it. Lovely service, intimate setting, easy parking on the street. I know I would go back in a heartbeat. AND I always can remember the places I wouldn't go also!

• Visited February 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“I'm A Regular”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

In France there are little corner restaurants everywhere that have the same set menu and plats du jour, and a small bar with coffee and drinks.
That's what Degas is. One would think New Orleans would have quite a few places following this ancient formula. We don't.
I can only honestly review lunch, which I do quite a bit. I've only been to the bar at night- it's lovely if the French style is what you like. It is very small.
Degas does the classic set menu very well. I've had everything on it, it's all nicely done. The specials are where you will find a more local twist- I have found them all to be very nice- if they are doing lamb or softshell crab, that tends to be a good reason to go off the set menu.
Set menu is the classics- blanquette de veau- good, Salade Nicoise, I like theirs- the crab salad and crab omelette are both nice- steak and frites are solid. Mussels Mariniere, escargot, and the Salade au Chèvre Tiede all pass the French test. Nobody thinks to order liver and onions in a restaurant, but you might just want to here- it is excellent!

Cheese plates and charcuterie vary daily, but they are generally an excellent choice. In fact, those and maybe some apps- soups and salads are all good choices. Add wine or coffee drinks, or whatever- a great midday choice for a group. Desserts are generally the classics- they even do Crepes Suzette.

Out can even be a choice that includes vegetarians pretty well ( which is difficult in New Orleans!) but Vegans, I would say no. As to children- possibly, depends on the kids.

So you can do a lot of different things for your midday stop here, especially with a group.
It truly is one of my favorite places, but I knock off one from a full Excellent rating for several reasons.

They can and sometimes do mess up the food. The service almost always leaves much to be desired. They really could stand some new tables and chairs, and some rethinking of the layout. It isn't as comfortable as it could be.

Do keep in kind that this is very much a little neighborhood spot- there is a much more laissez faire vibe in the neighborhood places than there is downtown and the Quarter. As such- it just is what it is- while there can be less than stellar service at this place, much of it is just a level of casual that most people just aren't used to. Believe me, they aren't like that because they hate the cut of your jib or something- it isn't personal. Razor sharp professionalism just doesn't make it to out if the way neighborhood spots. Honestly- it struggles in the busy parts of town!

My TA comments are geared towards a tourist perspective, rather than local. That said- I don't know if it would be worth it to go out of your way to go to Degas- unless you have an incredible craving for classic French rather than the local fare.

Should you be spending time in Bayou St. John, it's a great choice. Spend day at City Park, the museum, the sculpture garden,St. Louis#3 Cemetery- there is also a carousel and a small amusement park in City Park- add in a meal at Degas, it makes for a pretty perfect day.

The 91 bus stops near the Quarter at Esplande and N. Rampart and will take you through Esplanade to both Degas and the park, so it's a pleasant and scenic adventure. You can also continue on up City Park Ave. to the part if town we call Cemetaries. Guess what you will find there? That's right- boneyards and lots of em! And they're very pretty and peaceful and full of history.

You can even start that day with lunch at Degas and finish with dinner at Ralph's on the Park. Or vice versa.

A very picture perfect New Orleans outing. Highly recommended!

Moorhead, Minnesota
“Very cute”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This is like dining in the garden. It is semi open and with a knowledgeable and attentive staff. Wine prices are a bit high but the food is good although not stellar. Solid is how I would describe it. Nice change from New Orleans cuisine.