“A Great Dinner With Family”

Brigtsen's Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 2,247 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leonidas
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was probably our 8th visit to Brigtsen’s, in the River Bend Area, though only the second one lately. For this December visit, we met with family, who live in Metairie, and had a wonderful meal, plus a lot of catching-up to do.

We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation, were warmly greeted, and seated in one of the side rooms, with a table for four.

I got the evening started with a bottle of the Bachelet-Monnot Chassagne-Montrachet ‘15, from Brigtsen’s small, but nice wine list. This Montrachet was the only big French white on the list, but did nicely. It came out a bit on the cold side, but we had it placed onto the table, so that it could warm up a bit. Especially with big whites, I find that most restaurants (and not just in the South) serve them too cold. I followed with the Albert Bichot Savigny-les-Beaune ‘15 (Pinot Noir).

We played with the menu a bit, and vacillated over the Tasting Menu, but finally decided to go á la carte, and my wife and I ordered:

Filé Gumbo w/ chicken and Andouille Sausage – While I am more a fan of Seafood Gumbo, this was a great dish, with a dark, flavorful roux, which was just the right consistency – thick, but not too thick. The Andouille Sausage added a bit of a “kick,” and no Tabasco was needed.
Butternut Shrimp Bisque – A new dish from Brigtsen’s Soup Menu for us, and so very good. It had lots of shrimp, and they tasted fresh from the Gulf. The bisque also had great consistency, and layers of flavor.

Cornmeal Fried Des Allemands Catfish w/ fire-roasted vegetables – This was a great appetizer, and the catfish was very good, and also fresh – the fish that made Des Allemands famous! The cornmeal crust was ideal, and Chef had added a bit of spice to it. Just wonderful, and the earthiness of the catfish paired beautifully with the Pinot Noir.

Broiled Gulf Snapper w/ crabmeat crust, lemon-crab sauce, mushrooms, asparagus and leeks – Beautifully done sweet Gulf Snapper, and the lemon-crab sauce was an ideal topping. The citrus elements went well with the big Chardonnay, and the fish stood up to the Pinot Noir too.
Pan-fried Speckled Trout w/ roasted pecans and Meuniére sauce – I am a pushover for fried speckled trout, and order it, almost every time I encounter it. As a youth, we spent most of the Autumn and Winter catching “specks” in the Gulf, but now they are deemed a “seasonal fish,” so not always seen. This prep was great, and the Meuniére sauce did well with both the Chardonnay and the Pinot Noir.

For dessert we shared:
Double-chocolate Cake (with a lovely presentation) – Very nice, and even for me, one who is not big on chocolate desserts.
Pecan Pie w/ caramel sauce – Excellent pecan pie, but I wold rather have had perhaps a Bourbon sauce, instead.
Café au Lait Crème Brûlée – Great Crème Brûlée with a perfect crust on it.

Now, Brigtsen’s is fine-dining, but in a relaxed, and somewhat “laid back” atmosphere. It is definitely off of the main tourist routes, being just a few blocks from ends of St Charles Ave, and South Carrollton Ave, where the St Charles Ave Streetcar makes its 90 degree turn, right at a big bend in the Mississippi River. It is tucked back from South Carrollton, several blocks, and is located in an older home. That is also the feeling that I get, when I dine there – I am dining in Chef Brigtsen’s home. Our service was very friendly, and efficient. My wine orders were handled properly, though I wish that they had nicer stemware for the wines like the Montrachet. The room with our table was a bit crowded, but our server made it look easy. Where we were seated was in a quieter area of the dining room, and that was greatly appreciated, as some tables can be a bit too loud for my liking – not bad, but a few dB louder, than I like.

Once more, an excellent dining experience, and well-worth the trek from the Windsor Court, out to the River Bend Area.

Date of visit: December 2018
2  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Write a reviewReviews (490)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Brigtsen’s Restaurant -New Orleans

One of the finest restaurant’s in the city. Current the price fixe menus us spectacular. All the enters are amazing. Nice affordable wine list. Service impeccable!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

had some guest visiting from out of town and as they wanted some authentic NOLA cuisine, i took them to this dependable neighborhood restaurant. the kitchen always does a very good job of presenting typical new orleans cuisine highlighting local seafood. we all enjoyed our meal. service was good and helpful in describing the selections for the visitors. pricing is fair. all credit cards are accepted.

Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Went for my wife's Birthday. Our first visit, we heard so much about this establishment. Just happened to be in the Coolinary month, and they had dinner specials. We are so glad we decided to go. Everything was perfect. I had the redfish for my entree, also came with a fried catfish appetizer. Also had the strawberry shortcake for desert. The others had the same with the pecan pie with caramel sauce, and bread pudding with hot rum sauce. My wife went off menu special, and got the softshell crab with pecans and meunire sauce. Incredible !
Mr Frank Brigtsen also came to our table to wish my wife a happy birthday. How thoughtful. This is definitely a MUST return visit. Highly recommend reservations.

Reviewed August 23, 2019

In a city filled with great restaurants, we will return to Brigtsen's! Went with a party of 8 this week and had limited time. Reservations required, this is a very small, out of the way, peaceful side of NOLA restaurant. Service was excellent, soft shell crab was called "best I've ever eaten," the blackened tuna was a hit, the blackened snapper excellent, the pork chop also got great reviews. Next visit we will have time for appetizer and dessert. It's a priority!

Date of visit: August 2019