“Could of done without the attitude of the valet”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #27 of 1,978 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed July 12, 2009

So its Sunday brunch, one would think that you could be a little more casual. My husband and I got out of the taxi, and the valet was right there, saying "Nope can't come in you have shorts on" and proceeds to flag down the taxi cab driver like we have the blubonic plague and we cannot possibly stand on the street corner for ten minutes waiting for another cab. He was a royal jack+++.

3  Thank seemenot16

Reviewed July 5, 2009

We can't go to New Orleans anymore without one meal at Commander's Palace. We have learned that going on a weekday for lunch is our best option. Martinis are 25 cents (limit of 4) when you order an entree. We have been for Sunday brunch a couple of times in the past and have learned that, even with reservations, we will end up waiting up to an hour for our table. Weekdays are much more laid back. Service is attentive (but it always is), and it's just more satisfying for us.

That said, our party of six went for lunch on June 19, 2009, in honor of our soon-to-be-90-year-old dad. (He enjoyed his martinis, too! ) We did have reservations, and we were seated immediately. One of my favorite things is the walk through the kitchen if you sit in the glassed-in room, or on the patio (too hot when we were there), or visit the bar while waiting for your table (you'll have to stand, and it is a very small area).

Service is ALWAYS attentive at Commander's Palace. I love that three waiters brought our orders and simulaneously served the six plates. However, we ordered our bread pudding souffles in advance (they require at least 20 minutes notice) when we ordered our meals, but there was still a 30-minute wait after we finished our entrees. However, after 3-4 martinis each, it didn't really bother us! Remember, you come here to dine and enjoy a leisurely lunch; do not plan on rushing.

All of us ordered the luncheon specials, which include an appetizer and an entree. Dessert is extra. Their turtle soup is the best anywhere. I did something different from the rest, of our group, however, and got the Creole tomato gazpacho, which was tvery tasty and so refreshing on a hot day. At our table, the entrees selected were the shrimp salad, the short ribs, and a pecan crusted fish (the name of which I can't remember). All were excellent. We ordered two bread pudding souffles for the table, which was ample and the best in New Orleans! We left satisfied, and VERY happy!

As always -- of course! It's Commander's Palace -- what else would you expect?

4  Thank ArkieFoodie
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Commanders Palace I think was a good overall experience. My family and I live only a short drive to New Orleans so we go there a lot. My husband and I were invited by his grandmother who is a dining room manager so we did get a little "extra" service. The atmosphere for a sunday brunch was great. We ate up stairs in the garden room right next to the windows, a great view. There was a jazz band playing which was nice. Let me say I'm only giving this restaurant a 4/5 because I personally do not like this type of food , I guess you would call it gourmet? I'm a very very picky eater. We had a little bit of everything. It's been a few months so I don't recall everything that we tried. My husband had the the soups it was turtle soup, gumbo, and soup du jour. I had the gumbo and it was good. (he loved everything there) for his meal he had bbq shrimp w/ grits which was good. I opted for the romaine salad instead. Just a little info they make everything "in house" including their salad dressings. For my entree I had the seared fish with veggies it wasn't very good. There were many extras that were brought to the table I'm not sure what they were but I do know one was a spicy jelly shrimp and tasso app which was good. Now the best part of the meal, the desert! Oh my goodness. I love my sweets and this place has got some of the best deserts in town. We tried everything the souffle, the bread pudding, creme brulee, a homemade biscuit with fresh blueberries and fresh italian whipped cream. yummy! All in all I would recommend going here but I am not a big fan of the entrees. Oh yeah Ms Carole says that Jim Carey goes to get takeout, which isn't allowed, all the time (he likes the bread pudding) so you may catch a look at him or brad and angelina who have a house in the garden district as well.

2  Thank mrsVinLouisiana
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Elegant excellent food & cocktail & the best bread pudding
the extremley professional staff are informative courteous
friendly well worth the price

1  Thank Dona09
Reviewed June 8, 2009

To start, I have to say I'm surprised to see that some people have received inadequate service at Commander's. My husband and I have had nothing but great experiences with the service every time we've gone. I feel as though we're treated like royalty! They are prompt, courteous, and willing to go the "extra mile". For instance, one time the server made a drink recommendation, and when he checked back and saw that I had barely had any, he said "Oh, you must not like it", and whisked it away to get me something new as soon as I nodded my head. I think the service is the best in the city.
As far as the food, it is very good, but ultimately not the best I've ever had. They commonly feature a 3-course meal that I find is a good deal. You get an appetizer or salad, entree and dessert for a set price (around $40 for all 3). I think this is a fair deal at a fine dining establishment. I typically eat the soft-shell crab when I go. I have never been disappointed. Soft-shell crab is scary to order, in my opinion, because if it's not extremely fresh, it's BAD. However, it is always fresh and fried perfectly at Commander's. My husband is not very adventurous and usually orders a filet. I've tasted it, and it seems pretty average as far as filets go.
As far as desserts, everyone raves about their bread pudding souffle. I know I'm in the minority, but I had this once and wouldn't order it again. It's just too airy and doesn't have a lot of taste to me. They have the best strawberry shortcake I've ever had. It's made with homemade whipped cream layered between sweetened biscuits. I'm usually not a fan of the biscuit-type strawberry shortcake, but these biscuits were light and fluffy and just sweet enough. The turtle cheesecake is also very good.

All in all, I would recommend this restaurant. The combination of excellent service and good food makes for a very enjoyable dining experience.

2  Thank foodloverinN.O.