“Fantastic, start to finish”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #27 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Hard to fault - from welcome to cab home. Great service, all round. The new York strip steak was perfect - the whole meal in fact. The Foxglove chardonnay was particularly excellent. Great pecan pie dessert too. Such a great place - if you're in Nawlins then definitely check it out.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,633)

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Back for a visit after 20 years bring overseas. A time warp back.

Great service, and an excellent room on second floor for lunch.

Had all the signature dishes again, plus a round of their 25c martinis which can't but help to put you in a good mood.

Top restaurant but good value for money, just like 20 years ago.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Upon arrival for a 12-day gastro vacation in the area, I made a dinner reservation from the hotel before even unpacking. They seemed to be able to accommodate last-minute reservations in the off season on a Monday, although I sense that simply showing up might not have been successful (my presumption is that Garden District venues get many more locals). As well, they prefer that gentlemen wear a jacket, but it is not required. However, given the high level of customer compliance, I would have felt out of place without one.

By comparison, all the good restaurants in the French Quarter didn’t require a mid-week reservation during my same trip. Some recommended Tuesday to Thursday as the least busy nights, and then things start to fill up fast as the conventioneers arrive and depart.

I had the seven-course “Chef’s Playground”, and they allowed me to substitute-in their famed bread pudding soufflé with whiskey sauce as the desert – it takes a while to prepare, so order it early. All the courses were sublime, especially memorable for me being the soft-shell crab. You should definitely spring for the wine pairing.

I could go on about the food, but I really must comment about the staff. They are as professional as what you’ll experience at the top-end restaurants in the French quarter, likely even more so. But what really set them apart was simply how down-to-earth, convivial and approachable they were, compared to some of the stiffer old-school staff who would serve you elsewhere. Even among the younger staff under training, you could see that they had that right “spark” and would go far in the business.

I never did check to see if they charged me extra for the desert upgrade because I simply didn’t care once I had tried it. If you ask on the way out, the front desk will give you the bread pudding soufflé recipe (and it’s in their cookbook). I will be going through a lot of dried leftover baguettes in the next few months, while trying to perfect it.

This restaurant should be on everyone’s Bucket List.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our party of 6 (3 Couples) went to Commanders Palace during a trip to New Orleans. We got dressed up to experience this place that everyone raves about. I can see why! Our Server Lorenzo was amazing from the start. He was knowledgeable, funny and very charming. He was simply amazing - you *have* to ask for him. My husband had Quail - it was simply delicious. I had a steak that melted in my mouth! We were also treated to a tour of the Restaurant - I think we tricked them into thinking we were important! It's old school and traditional and I loved it. In this busy world of chain restaurants and fast food, it's nice to have a proper meal where the waiters escort the Ladies to the restroom and the Staff can surprise you with the perfect cocktail just by asking you a few questions.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Went for our son birthday. It was fantastic. Never been greeted ever like this anywhere in any restaurant we have been. The food how it should have been. GREAT JOB