“Excellent Staff and Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #25 of 1,890 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Excellent Staff and Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

Upon arrival for a 12-day gastro vacation in the area, I made a dinner reservation from the hotel before even unpacking. They seemed to be able to accommodate last-minute reservations in the off season on a Monday, although I sense that simply showing up might not have been successful (my presumption is that Garden District venues get many more locals). As well, they prefer that gentlemen wear a jacket, but it is not required. However, given the high level of customer compliance, I would have felt out of place without one.

By comparison, all the good restaurants in the French Quarter didn’t require a mid-week reservation during my same trip. Some recommended Tuesday to Thursday as the least busy nights, and then things start to fill up fast as the conventioneers arrive and depart.

I had the seven-course “Chef’s Playground”, and they allowed me to substitute-in their famed bread pudding soufflé with whiskey sauce as the desert – it takes a while to prepare, so order it early. All the courses were sublime, especially memorable for me being the soft-shell crab. You should definitely spring for the wine pairing.

I could go on about the food, but I really must comment about the staff. They are as professional as what you’ll experience at the top-end restaurants in the French quarter, likely even more so. But what really set them apart was simply how down-to-earth, convivial and approachable they were, compared to some of the stiffer old-school staff who would serve you elsewhere. Even among the younger staff under training, you could see that they had that right “spark” and would go far in the business.

I never did check to see if they charged me extra for the desert upgrade because I simply didn’t care once I had tried it. If you ask on the way out, the front desk will give you the bread pudding soufflé recipe (and it’s in their cookbook). I will be going through a lot of dried leftover baguettes in the next few months, while trying to perfect it.

This restaurant should be on everyone’s Bucket List.

• Visited July 2014

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Food and Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our party of 6 (3 Couples) went to Commanders Palace during a trip to New Orleans. We got dressed up to experience this place that everyone raves about. I can see why! Our Server Lorenzo was amazing from the start. He was knowledgeable, funny and very charming. He was simply amazing - you *have* to ask for him. My husband had Quail - it was simply delicious. I had a steak that melted in my mouth! We were also treated to a tour of the Restaurant - I think we tricked them into thinking we were important! It's old school and traditional and I loved it. In this busy world of chain restaurants and fast food, it's nice to have a proper meal where the waiters escort the Ladies to the restroom and the Staff can surprise you with the perfect cocktail just by asking you a few questions.

Visited August 2014
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Went for our son birthday. It was fantastic. Never been greeted ever like this anywhere in any restaurant we have been. The food how it should have been. GREAT JOB

Calabasas
“Simply The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This was the single best highlight of our recent trip to New Orleans!! From the moment you enter you are welcomed with open arms and gracious service!! The food was spectacular, the service was even more spectacular!!! We loved it and hated to leave!! I have been to New Orleans many times before and never eaten here and boy am I ever kicking myself for all those wasted trips now!!!
Go by all means go and you will be so very glad you did.
Shane was one of our 4 waiters ( yes 4) and he was wonderful!!!
One drawback is any other restaurant you will eat at in the future will pale in comparison to Commanders Palace!!!

• Visited August 2014
Sam F, Manager at Commander's Palace, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear "LovetogoCalabasas,"
Thank you for writing the lovely review about us! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed dining at Commander's Palace. We hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks,
Sam Fritz
Community Manager, Commander's Family of Restaurants
sam@commanderspalace.com

Posted: August 13, 2014
Simply The Best!
Go by all means go and you will be so very glad you did.
Shane was one of our 4 waiters ( yes 4) and he was wonderful!!!

- by LovetogoCalabasas (Calabasas) on 8/12/14. Stay date: Aug 2014
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Wonderful brunch, but they forgot the whiskey sauce for my bread pudding souffle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

This really is all our friends said it would be. We loved everything they served us and couldn't finish it all. Three courses of wonderful. Our friend also go the bread pudding souffle and they put the whiskey sauce on with a flair. I asked where mine was, and he gave me the leftovers from my friends sauce and said they'd bring more. They forgot, though I was asked about it as I left. No apology for forgetting, so only rated 4 of 5. It really is a quirky building, but special.

• Visited August 2014