“Never disappointed!”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #39 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I adore Commander's. Finally had the turtle soup. It was amazing...just like everything else. I've hesitated to try it in the past. Just thought it would taste too weird. Turtle? Really.
Well, it's not weird at all. It is very, very rich. The turtle pieces tasted like crab...but not fishy. Just melt-in-your-mouth tender. I had the shrimp and grits.complex and wonderful. Just a tad on the spicy side. But, just barely. My husband had the pecan crusted gulf fish (black drum), and it was lovely. It had a very light cream sauce with a hint of sweet corn flavor. Was awesome with the fish.
My only complaint is that the service is too good. I feel they hover a bit much for my comfort. I don't want people at my table every minute interrupting conversations. But seriously, I'll deal with that to enjoy commanders every chance I can before I die.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,060)

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We have eaten here a number of times and have always thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The food is always outstanding and the service is among the best.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Outstanding service food and staff I would highly recommend this beautiful gem. Inside is decorated with light blue and cream New Orleans and Victorian charm. We exited through the kitchen and the cooks were so nice. Our waiter was very nice as well. It was a very special evening.

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Commanders Palace is tied for the second best dining experience in the U. S.for us. Only the Flagstaff House in Boulder is close. If it weren't for the the stunning view of the Denver area at sunset I'm not sure the race would be too close.

The staff are amazing and the menu is a prefect New Orleans gumbo. We dined at lunch. The two-course meal plus dessert was just right. The turtle soup lived up to its reputation, and 3 martinis for less than a soda at most fast food places made for a laid back summer afternoon.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We had been to Commanders Palace a number of years ago. It remains one of the highest rated restaurants on Trip Advisor for NOLA. A group of 6 were on holiday for Memorial Day Weekend.
So we booked a Friday night reservation far in advance.
Our table was ready on time and we were looking forward to a first rate high end meal.
Drinks went fine, but the downhill part started when 4 of the 6 dinners ordered soup, and they were all cold.
The staff was very apologetic and replaced our soups.
Then came entree time and 4 of the 6 were again cold. 3 were the softshell crab and 1 was the pricey veal chop. To make matters worse, the chop was undercooked. Ordered medium well and came totally pink.
My wife was not able to eat it and at that point was not willing to start over with another entree,
the substantial undercooking turned her appetite.

The waiter was apologetic to the point of making us uncomfortable,plus he was sure to let us know he did all he could, but the blame was beyond him.
The manager came over, presented his card and apologized and then they brought out a barage of almost all of their desserts. (we had 3 coming with our meals, and they brought several more)
We thought each and every dessert was excellent. They were also sure to remove the cold entrees from our bill as they should have.
I lifted the review up to average only because of the manager steppied in and took control best he could under the circumstances.
the evening before we took a chance at a small 10 table place in the French Quarter, Louisiana Bistro, that my wife came across in her research of NOLA. We had no expectations and had the best meal of our trip there. Every entree, appetizer and desert was outstanding.
Not sure why a small place can deliver and wondering with all the Brennan places that keep rolling out if the classics like Commander's Palace have seen its best days and don't get the attention they used to. Feels more like a tourist destination now. . We also ate at the Brennan connected classis place the Palace Cafe, and that was quite good. CP needs to get its act together in the kitchen.I know if won't make our short list for a return visiti Enjoy!