“Outstanding”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #29 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed April 16, 2014

From the moment we walked in the door until the moment we left, the service in this restaurant was top notch. Everything was perfect, from the welcoming staff to the crisp presentation. My husband and i ate here on a Monday at noon. We started off with a very delicious and refreshing drink, the Crescent City Cooler. I ordered the turtle soup for a starter and it was very good. My husband ordered the soup du jour, which had smoked pork, kale & mushrooms and he enjoyed it a lot. For an entree I ordered a grilled chicken dish that was sooooo flavorful!! It was the best dish of my trip. My husband had the Creole Cuban Sandwich which was good, but we both agreed mine was better. We each had 2 of the 25 cent martinis, and they were delicious and strong. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New Orleans. It's not just a meal, it's a whole experience!

1  Thank northernshelly
Write a ReviewReviews (7,744)

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Ignore the carping. Make your reservations, dress up nice and go. Atmosphere, service, food all wonderful. After 40 years its always a perfect experience. Even the walk through the kitchen past "Miss Ella's" table is part of the fun. Used to live in the neighborhood so make a detour to see the new improved Magazine Street shops. Or ride the trolley. Best proof that NOLA is back.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Recently dined at Commander's Palace. Although the food and service were great, I'm not sure I'd return, unless I am guaranteed a table in the "real" dining room. They apparently have 3 dining rooms. Not sure how they decide who sits where, but I had to walk through the kitchen to get to my table. I guess it was just a poor architectural design - but if you are seated in the garden dining area outside of the courtyard - you get a free tour of the kitchen! Aside from that, the food was good, but the dessert was great! I had a seasonal fish dish from Chef Tory's 3 course specials, including a wonderful salad, and the best strawberry shortcake I've ever tasted. Recommend dining here - just ask for the front dining room.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

A must do is lunch on a WEEKDAY. 25 cent Martinis (limit 3) and they are excellent. Cold, crisp, refreshing. Next....the menu is varied and excellent. Turtle soup is hot, tasty and great. Whatever the entree, it is top quality, then move to coffee and bread pudding or any desert and you have had a meal fit for a king but not costing a king's ransom. All the while being attended to and pampered as though your are a king. This place is fabulous for lunch. You will not be disappointed.

2  Thank luzana
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is the one restaurant you MUST enjoy on your trip. All New Orleans restaurants start out with Good and then climb the ladder to the top. Commander's is the TOP.